LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take pictures with an ip camera

I recently bought a Foscam FI9821W Wireless IP Camera to work along side my image comparison VI. 

Is it possible to connect to this Camera through the VI by changing the "Select Camera" funtion or something close to that?

Any help would be appreciated,

Confused LabVIEWer

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,190 Views)

Hi jrc579,

Do you have the camera file for your camera in the correct folder?  Every camera used with National Instruments software requires a camera file (with the suffix .icd) to work with NI software.  NI's vision software comes with many camera files bundled, but it seems that yours is not part of that lot - you can view the camera files in the National Instruments>>NI-IMAQ>>Data folder.  You will need to either (a) get a camera file or (b) create one yourself. 

a) Many companies have the camera files for their cameras to work with NI hardware.  Contact Foscam and see if they can send you the camera file for this camera.  This is pretty common.  If not...

b) You can create the camera file yourself by using the NI Camera File Generator.  You will need the specifications sheet for your camera so you can input the correct data it needs.  You can find more information about the Camera File Generator here: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/14207

Once you have the camera file, make sure to save it in the data folder I showed you above, with all the other camera files.

If I am mistaken and you already have the camera file, then we will need to get your camera showing up in MAX.  Please let me know if this is the case and we can continue troubleshooting from there.

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 7
(3,140 Views)

Thank you for the advice!  Unfortunately, I got in contact with tech support at Foscam and they said their products can not be used in conjunction with LabVIEW at all.  Looks like I have to find a new Wireless Camera.  Is there a known affordable camera (around $100) that might work for this application?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,114 Views)

Hi jrc579,

Nothing we sell, unfortunately.  But try asking on the forums (in a new post) and I'm sure people will be happy to give advice.

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,099 Views)

I just found a Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 which would be perfect.  Are all USB webcams compatible with labview?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,090 Views)

Hi jrc579, 

Not all USB webcams are going to be compatible.  To use the IMAQ drivers, it'll need to be DirectShow compliant, or use the USB 3.0 standard.  Alternatively, the camera will work if it has its own drivers, and you can call the DLL's from LabVIEW directly (although this can be a cumbersome experience).

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,072 Views)

Many USB cameras are compatible with LabVIEW.  The easiest way to check this is to plug the camera into a laptop, fire up MAX, and see if the camera is detected.  If it is, you can verify that Snap and Grab work.  If you don't have an "example" camera to try, go to a store where they are sold, brining your laptop, and ask to test one.

However, you asked about IP cameras, and mentioned Wireless.  Axis makes cameras that are relatively inexpensive, work over TCP/IP, are wireless-capable (we've mostly used them "wired"), and are LabVIEW-compatible (visible by MAX)..

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,056 Views)