LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIMEOUT PROBLEM WITH EVENT STRUCTURE

I AM USING AN EVENT STRUCTURE IN ONE OF MY VIS BUT EVERYTIMES IT RUNS IT GOES STRAIGHT INTO TIMEOUT AND JUST KEEPS RUNNING THE TIMEOUT STRUCTURE OVER AND OVER AGAIN.  HOW CAN I MAKE IT SO THAT IT GOES TO ONE OF THE OTHE STRUCTURES INSTEAD OF TIMEOUT?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,605 Views)
What do you have your timeout set to. If you do not need a timeout case then just do not wire a timeout to it. Also are you sure you have set up the other cases correctly. Post a copy of your code in 7.0 or less format and I will look at it for you.

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,595 Views)
I TRIED NOT WIRING TO THE TIMEOUT NODE AND IT GAVE ME AN ERROR.  I TRIED SETTING MY TIMEOUT TO '-1' SO IT WOULDN'T TIMEOUT AND IT STILL DID.  HERE IS WHAT I TRYING TO DO:  I WANT TO IMPORT SMAPLES INTO THE FIRST TABLE LABELED 'STEPS' THEN I WANT TO CLICK ON A STEP WITHIN THAT TABLE AND HAVE IT SHOW UP IN 'SELECTED STEPS' TEXT BOX.  AFTER THAT I WANT TO CLICK 'ADD TO PROCEDURE' AND HAVE IT GO INTO THE OTHER TABLE.  AFTER A ADDED A NUMBER OF STEPS I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SAVE IT INTO A TEXT FILE.  EVERYTIME I TRY TO RUN IT,IT GOES STRAIGHT INTO TIMEOUT.  HERE IS WHAT I HAVE.    THANKS.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,583 Views)
ALSO I CAN'T LOAD A NEW PROCEDURE.  THE DEFAULT ONE STAYS IN THE TABLE. 
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,582 Views)
NEVERMIND IT WORKS NOW, I THINK IT WAS BECAUSE I HIGHLIGHTED THE EXECUTION AND IT TIMED-OUT BECAUSE IT WAS RUNNING TO SLOW, BUT WHEN I SET IT TO '-1' IT STILL TIMED-OUT SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE POBLEM WAS.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,579 Views)
I'm sorry but i cannot open your VI because as stated above I only have version 7 not 7.1 please save your VI in 7.0 format by going to file save as then selesct save for previous. When you do that I will be able to help you more. This should be a very easy problem to fix i just need to see your vi first. maybe someone else who has 7.1 will read this thread and give you an answer to.

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,578 Views)
Your timeout seems to be working fine.  If you set the timeout to -1 it never runs (why not just take the timeout case completely out of the event structure?).  One problem that I see is that you don't have an event which exits you inner loop.  You have an endless loop.  If you really need both loops (I don't completely understand what you're trying to do) then you need another button which exits the inner loop.  You should also put an event in your event case which monitors the ESC stop button so that you can exit the inner loop in the case that someone presses this button to stop the entire program.  I have made this change to your program in the attached.

Also, your posts on this forum would be much more readable if you wouldn't SHOUT.

Message 7 of 9
(2,569 Views)
As John mentioned, please don't SHOUT. That means you need to learn how to turn off the caps lock key.Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 9
(2,563 Views)

Here are the changes that should probably do what you seem to be trying to do. Look at the differences. You couldn't use your stop button to end the program as it wouldn't be in the outer loop long enough to see the control, unless you pressed it and then almost instantly the save procedure button. There wsa an exit from the inner loop, it was the save to file case. To use the load steps button (I don't have the vi open so I don't remember the names) required clearing the previous path, otherwise it just automatically reloads the original file, and you didn't have anything in your events to cause it to anyway. When you make changes to code and it doesn't really do what you want, stop, think about what steps it must go through exactly to accomplish the desired result, then go through your code (not running, just looking) and try and see what it is really doing. Hilited execution is fine for finding some mistakes in wiring or design, but really analyzing what you are trying to accomplish is the best way to find errors in your logic.

P.M.

P.S. I will be leaving the office for the day shortly

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,553 Views)