cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THOUGHTS ON CORRECT PRONUNCIATION: "VI"

Solved!
Go to solution

@Gregory wrote:

On a slightly related note: when interviewing people I've noticed that people with "labview experience" on their resume are often much less experienced than people with "LabVIEW experience", it's gotten pretty hard not to form opinions on that alone!

I think there are several threads talking about capitalization of LabVIEW.  Here is one.  And yes I've known people that just throw resume's away if it isn't right.

Message 21 of 52
(1,404 Views)

One thing I've always wondered about the capitalization of LabVIEW.

Most times that I see it discussed in trade magazines, it seems like they almost always write "LabView".  Are the editors of the magazines changing it to that?  Generally, since articles discussing specific products are also usually a form of advertisement for the company who makes that product, the company's marketing communication folks are going to makes sure the editing is going to be accurate for something like product names.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 52
(1,397 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

In LabVIEW terms, VI are the initials of "Virtual Instrument", and are meant to be said as separate letters, the same way that the abbreviation for Post Office (P.O.) is not pronounced "po", but "Pee Oh", and the abbreviation for United States (of America) is pronounced by naming the two (or three) letters, not by saying "us" (or even stranger, "usa").

Bob "William, Sapphire" Schor

P.S. -- to truly appreciate the outrageous pun, you need to be old enough to have enjoyed radio shows in the early 50's.

Is sloppiness in speech  Missing the joke caused by ignorance or apathy? 

Spoiler
I don't know and I don't care.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 52
(1,375 Views)

So if you're P.O.'d, does that mean you have a Post Office Box for an address?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 52
(1,346 Views)

@jamiva wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

For me, like I explained a few times already, V.I. would be pronounced Vee Eye, exactly like the link pronounced it. Please enlighten me how it should be pronounced in an other way then "not Vee Eye". For me, that would be the way to write the sound as I heard any\all English person say it.

Adding more complexity (VISA) really doesn't help. I've never heard anyone say V.I.S.A., so actually it's a comparison that weakens your argument. Or at least doesn't help to make it clearer.

Sorry for the confusion. Just my way of saying how irregular the English language is.

Some acronyms are read as written: NATO, radar, scuba.... Others are read as they are spelled: TV, DVD, DOD...

THEN you get the oddball ones like JPEG, CD-ROM

It all depends on accepted usage. So yes, I am assuming the accepted pronounciation of VI is "Vee-Eye". And VISA is "Vee-Sah" (or is it "Vee-Zah" Smiley Wink)

My favorite example of English irregularities is:

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 25 of 52
(1,343 Views)

Next thing I know, people will tell me I have been mispronouncing creek as well (pronounced "crick", yes I have hillbillies for relatives).

Yeah ... about that ... 😉

Yes it should be pronounced as 'speed'. I just realised this weekend that it's common in my birth area to say 'jinns' for the blue denim trousers. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 52
(1,326 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

I just realised this weekend that it's common in my birth area to say 'jinns' for the blue denim trousers. 🙂

My grandmother on my mom's side adds an 'r' to some words, like wash (pronounced "worsh").  Then on my dad's side (Kentucky farmers) they pronounce tire, tower, and tar exactly the same ("tar").  And to make the Texas people feel less weird, everybody in this area (Cincinnati) say "y'all" as well (short for "you all", pronounced as it looks).  And for proof, here is a water tower about 30 minutes south of me.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 52
(1,316 Views)

Pontiac in Michigan is pronounced without the "t". Ypsilanti is IP-sill-ANN-E often shortened to IP-see.  Gaylord is Gay-Lerd. 

After researching several lists on the internet I agree and disagree about some but one I definitely do is say Secretariah State, instead of Secretary Of State office which is our DMV.  Growing up I was always confused about TV shows where people would go to the DMV and I had never knew where one was.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 52
(1,303 Views)

@billko wrote:

So if you're P.O.'d, does that mean you have a Post Office Box for an address?

Or something else:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Help-with-activation/m-p/3703772/highlight/true#M1041838

😄

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 52
(1,297 Views)

When I interviewed for the job I have now I pronounced it "Vye" as in Bye but with a V. Threw the owner a curve ball never having heard that. I had assumed it was pronounced the same way as "VI" the visual editor that used to come with Unix. Since I had learned LV in a vacuum, I had never heard anyone say the word.

He corrected me and explained it was pronounced "Vee Eye".

Then again, I had taught myself LVOOP. Since it looked like a French word, I pronounce it "La-Voop". That confuses people as well. But I think it sound much better than "El Vee oop" so I am going to stick with.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 52
(1,276 Views)