LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THOUGHTS ON CORRECT PRONUNCIATION: "VI"

Solved!
Go to solution

If VI is pronounced "VEE-Eye" then how is VISA pronouced? This reminds me of a George Carlin skit where he makes fun of the English language.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 52
(1,740 Views)

For me, like I explained a few times already, V.I. would be pronounced Vee Eye, exactly like the link pronounced it. Please enlighten me how it should be pronounced in an other way then "not Vee Eye". For me, that would be the way to write the sound as I heard any\all English person say it.

Adding more complexity (VISA) really doesn't help. I've never heard anyone say V.I.S.A., so actually it's a comparison that weakens your argument. Or at least doesn't help to make it clearer.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 52
(1,733 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

For me, like I explained a few times already, V.I. would be pronounced Vee Eye, exactly like the link pronounced it. Please enlighten me how it should be pronounced in an other way then "not Vee Eye". For me, that would be the way to write the sound as I heard any\all English person say it.

Adding more complexity (VISA) really doesn't help. I've never heard anyone say V.I.S.A., so actually it's a comparison that weakens your argument. Or at least doesn't help to make it clearer.

Sorry for the confusion. Just my way of saying how irregular the English language is.

Some acronyms are read as written: NATO, radar, scuba.... Others are read as they are spelled: TV, DVD, DOD...

THEN you get the oddball ones like JPEG, CD-ROM

It all depends on accepted usage. So yes, I am assuming the accepted pronounciation of VI is "Vee-Eye". And VISA is "Vee-Sah" (or is it "Vee-Zah" Smiley Wink)

Message 13 of 52
(1,716 Views)

jamiva wrote:

It all depends on accepted usage. So yes, I am assuming the accepted pronounciation of VI is "Vee-Eye". And VISA is "Vee-Sah" (or is it "Vee-Zah" Smiley Wink)

That helps. Now there might be people who don't know how Vee-Eye or Vee-Sah is pronounced.

Can you also confirm that entering "V.I." in here: http://onlinetonegenerator.com/voice-generator.html, sound like it should sound (although a bit robotic)?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 52
(1,703 Views)

According to english pronounciation rules, 'fish' could be spelled 'ghoti'

tough - gh sounds like 'f'

women - o sounds like 'i'

potion - ti sounds like 'sh'

ghoti.

/Y 🙂

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 15 of 52
(1,700 Views)

There are regional variations, too. As V in Italian can be read Voo or Vee, I heard from several people a strange hybrid like Voo-Eye.

Furthermore, VISA would be pronounced Vee-Zah in northern Italy, Vee-Sah in southern Italy.

Not to be overlooked the variation sixth instead of six, as roman numbers today are often used as ordinals.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
Message 16 of 52
(1,694 Views)

It looks like Breakpoint is leaking again.  Also Gallagher has a pretty good skit on the English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz3kFNVopk

Starting around 2 minutes it gets pretty good.

Edit: Vee-Eye

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 52
(1,690 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

According to english pronounciation rules, 'fish' could be spelled 'ghoti'

tough - gh sounds like 'f'

women - o sounds like 'i'

potion - ti sounds like 'sh'

ghoti.

/Y 🙂

I always pronounced the "o" in women as an O.  And I always pronounce ghoti as "goatee", mostly due to one of my favorite bands back in the day (Ghoti Hook).  So now I know that I have been mispronouncing words my entire life.  Next thing I know, people will tell me I have been mispronouncing creek as well (pronounced "crick", yes I have hillbillies for relatives).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 18 of 52
(1,683 Views)

@achr123 wrote:

Is it the word "vi" pronounced like "vee" or "v-i" (each letter separately). All opinions welcomed.

I guess it depends if you are Catalan or not. 😄

(sadly, that restaurant closed long ago)

Message 19 of 52
(1,661 Views)

I pronounce the letters individually, but I often call the individual files a function when talking to people who don't use LabVIEW much. Maybe the pronunciation is like a shibboleth to distinguish text-only programmers vs. LabVIEW users.

On a slightly related note: when interviewing people I've noticed that people with "labview experience" on their resume are often much less experienced than people with "LabVIEW experience", it's gotten pretty hard not to form opinions on that alone!

Message 20 of 52
(1,650 Views)