LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS format in C code?

I know NI has a DLL that will read TDMS, but NI has unfortunately left a lot of us out in the cold!  I need to read TDMS files on a Mac.  LabVIEW does not have the TDMS vis on the Mac release.  Probably be cause all that C code is platform dependent.  🙂

So, if I could use the DLL that would be fine, but they don't compile a Mac Shared dynamic library version either.

So are linux/Mac users just hosed by NI on this as well?  Is there some work around?  Or is the answer, just re-invent the wheel from the TDMS binary spec?

-Scott

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,633 Views)

Hi Scott,

you might want to look at the VI-Based API

I haven't used them, but the title unfortunatly suggest it's only for writing. Smiley Mad, but maybe they can get you started.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 2 of 9
(3,614 Views)

I had missed that reference.  I find the search at NI either returns no hits or way way too many.  It is a start, but I wonder why they didn't implement the read functionality?

It is odd, that the whole thing was not implemented in G?  I find it odd that occasionally NI won't program their functions in G!  The claims are that the compiled code is fairly well optimized but when it comes down to the nut, they fall back on C code.   The PID toolkit is like that in that they took out the guts of it for windows only and compiled it in C for speed reasons.

NI marketing keeps claiming that the LV compiled code is as fast as text based languages, but the developers seem to come up with a different answer.

Thanks, I am back to roll my own reading routines.  At least it is a starting point.  Sigh. 

-Scott

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,604 Views)

Sth,

You are correctly, unfortunately at this time we do not support reading from TDMS files on a Mac. I encourage you; however, to file a product suggestion at ni.com/contact on this issue as it will be routed to our R&D department and will be taken into serious consideration for future version of LabVIEW.

Cheers,

Jonah
Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Jonah Paul
Marketing Manager, NI Software
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,589 Views)

Jonah,

You mean file another suggestion yet again?  🙂

Ok, I will, but I always feel it goes in the old circular bit bucket!

Thanks,

-Scott

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,576 Views)

Hi Sth,

I wanted to follow up and let you know that I also filed an internal product suggestion related to your issue. Again I want to ensure you that whether it is an internal or customer product suggestion, that they get forwarded onto R&D for consideration for future implementation in LabVIEW. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Jonah

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Jonah Paul
Marketing Manager, NI Software
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,555 Views)

Jonah,

I believe it does go to R&D and they look at it.  But this has been a complaint of mine about the product suggestion system for quite awhile.  It  has no feed back to the person making the suggestion.  This is a human interface problem, and like any button without feedback someone will keep mashing down on it.  So AFAICT R&D may be tired of hearing from the same person about this?  Or they are working on it.  Or it just isn't a priority.

Or maybe I can just do the usual and blame it on a computer glitch and that they never got the suggestion.  The problem is I don' have any indication what happens to it.  Even if there was just a product suggestion code like a CAR and an acknowledgment of submission it would help.  Better would be a form letter telling me that it was a brilliant idea and will be rushed into the next version of LV, or a note that it was a stupid idea and I should RTFM.  Either way I would have some sort of reaction.

And yes, I have submitted this as a suggestion to NI.... 🙂 

I didn't mean to impugn the process just the user interface.

-Scott

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,532 Views)

Is there a C++ library for TDMS reader in linux??

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,768 Views)

TDMS has enabled supports LabVIEW on Mac (32-bit) and Linux (both  32-bit and 64-bit) since version 2012! You can install LabVIEW 2012 on your Mac which contains a Mac shared library (.framework) of tdms.

Message 9 of 9
(2,735 Views)