LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS and DAQmx raw

Hi there,
I have built a simple VI that takes data and logs it to a .tdms file in Labview. My issue now is that I wish to import this data into Matlab for post processing. I have found tools online to do this and they work fine once i have 'scrubbed' (not sure if that is exactly technical terminology but it will do!) the files of the daqmx raw data. I can do this for small files using Labview by just opening the parent .tdms file, and writing to a daughter file (also .tdms) however if the file size becomes large I get memory issues. I have looked around for a solution but i'm fairly new to Labview and i'm not sure i understand them fully... can anyone help?

Best 

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,940 Views)

TDMS is binary/text data file hybrid that is common ni NI tools, less common elsewhere.  

Do you have any examples of what you are trying to do.  it's hard to understand your problem without examples, screenshots, or code snippets.

Cheers,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,938 Views)

Here are the VI's. I've also attached a VI i found that might solve the 'write' memory problem but I am not sure how to get it to work properly with data that i already have in a file format...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,931 Views)

I'll be honest that doesn't give me much to go on.  all your functionality is buried in the express VIs.  

Have you considered looking into a MatLab group and seeing if they'd be able to help you with the TDMS transition?  As far as I can tell you have two options 

1. Figure out how to create a translation from TDMS into something Matlab will accept (I can't help much here as I have little ML experience...what I did wasn't positive. :-D)

2. Use a different translation method like excel, csv, or binary.  If matlab has a hard time with the TDMS translation you might consider excel using the report gen toolkit.  It's mind numbing-ly easy and I bet would be more readily accepted by MatLab. 

Hope that helps and best of luck,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,866 Views)

So you would recommend writing a VI to convert the TDMS file to something like csv? Is this fairly easy in Labview? 

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,847 Views)

You can try this

http://matio-labview.sourceforge.net/

but for large files, it would be best to modify the VIs as they are not memory efficient.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,841 Views)