cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS Open causes immediate forced closure of labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone, 

I have just started using TDMS (and labview actually) for the first time. I have managed to save data to the TDMS format which can be viewed in Excel using the importer. However if I try to open it in a vi using the TDMSopen, then labview immediately closes. Next time I start up it offers to recover for me and I'm back where I started. I'm trying to do this just to convert the data to and Igor Binary Wave format (to be read by Igor Pro). Incidentally, if I try and use the built in Igor Pro TDMS loader it also fails, citing DIAdem error -6204...but that's maybe a question for the Igor forums.

Thanks for any help. I spent ages programming to log the data in this format, and it would do the job very well if it could load into Igor Pro, or even LabView. I'm logging two groups of data. I'm streaming to the TDMS file as I write it and then defragging it when I'm finished with it.

I've attached a piture of my very simple vi - you give it a folder and it should load all the TDMS files one by one and save them as Igor Binary Wave files. It doesn't make any difference if I get rid of the IBW function.

vi.jpg

Thanks for any help

Niall

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,493 Views)

Hi Niall,

I have a couple of questions for this problem and let's see whether we can help you.

1. Which version of LabVIEW you are using?
  2. Which Windows OS version you are using, XP or Win7?
  3. Is that convenient for you to post your VI here and I can download it and try on my own machine?
  4. Did you highlight the execution of the VI and are you sure when running into TDMS Open, LV disapper?

Thank you!

Yongqing Ye

NI R&D 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,486 Views)

Hi there. So...

Labview 10.0 32 bit

I have tried it on one computer running Windows & 64 bit and another with XP

I stepped through the program, I hadn't reported the error quite right before.  The error out of the TMDSopen is fine, it is when trying to perform the TDMSRead that the crash occurs.

I've attached a zip file with some sample TDMS data (and the index file) and the VI I'm trying to access.

Thanks for the help

Niall

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,481 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author niallrobinson

Hi Niall,

Thank you for reporting this problem. There's no execuse for the crash, it's defenitely a bug.

But, the TDMS file is OK, and the way you reading the TDMS file is not very good, and you have quite a few workaround.

1.png

The problem is, the group "Data" has 6 channels in it, and 2 among them are timestamp data type channel. When you wiring a 2D double as the data type to "TDMS Read", then TDMS Read needs to covert all the data channels to double but timestamp channels cannot be converted, I suspect this is where the crash happens.

You can use this way, as illustrated in the below picture, you can wire a 1D string array as the channels names input to TDMS Read, contains only the double data type channels and read them all

together:

2.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,475 Views)

Ah ok - that sounds reasonable. As it happends, the Igor Pro TDMS importer is now working so this isn't so critical for me any more. It would be nice if there was a more flexible solution as in the loging

program you can specify what data to record. I guess you could read the channel names in first and then remove the two time channels from the array and use the rest.

Thanks for the help

Niall

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,471 Views)