From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS Files

Saving Arrays of Strings (Hex Values) to TDMS ..  found that some of the strings were saved incorrectly.

The TDMS data was derived from an Array of Numeric values converted to an array of Hex strings before being saved to a TDMS file...

When the TDMS is opened in Excel some of the elements in the string array are saved as 'Scientific' numbers ie... Hex value as String  "3020" when reported using the TDMS file is a scientific number 3.0E+02.."3802" is reported as 3.8E+02 but 3902 is reported as 3902? Anyone seen this before ..is there something i have missed?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,334 Views)

Hi Steve F,

It would be more helpful if you could supply an VI or the steps to reproduce this problem. Generally speaking, when you converting the numbers to strings, then TDMS just treat them as strings, it would not auto convert it back to number when displaying in Excel.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,309 Views)

TDMS_NI.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,292 Views)

FYI...noticed its only the first String Element in the Final Array that could be altered to a Numeric when saved to the TDMS file format - (and its dependant on the String Value "3802" reported as 38E+02, String "3902" reported correctly)..

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,291 Views)

Hi Steve F,

From the screenshot you post, I didn't find anything obviously wrong. I also tried with your way to write a string "3800" to a TDMS file and it also works when opening Excel. You mentioned you used "HEX" string? Did you try the "Ansii" string instead (choose "normal display" when right click on the string control/constant? And could you please supply a simple VI which could reproduce this problem?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,273 Views)