From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS Excel Add on works but not ExcelTDMImporter.exe

Solved!
Go to solution

On a new machine, I noticed that if I double click on a TDMS file, it wouldn't open it in Excel.  There is no error, just nothing happens.  I opened Excel myself and the TDMS add on is listed version 17.0.0.6654.  I can click the TDMS Importer from within Excel, pick my TDMS file and it imports it just fine.  So I uninstalled, and then reinstalled it, but same result. 

I then ran the following command line in an attempt to open a TDMS file using the importer:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\TDM Excel Add-In\ExcelTDMImporter.exe" "C:\Logs\Report\_20180430_151557.tdms"

This is the same as if I double clicked it, it seems to startup and then close.  Looking at the task manager I see Excel.exe start, then the ExcelTDMImporter.exe start, then ExcelTDMImporter.exe goes away, then Excel.exe goes away.  But no new dialogs are seen.

My Excel is 2013 64-bit, Windows 7 x64.  Any suggestions?  Any debug logs to find?

Message 1 of 3
(2,417 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

On a new machine, I noticed that if I double click on a TDMS file, it wouldn't open it in Excel.  There is no error, just nothing happens.  I opened Excel myself and the TDMS add on is listed version 17.0.0.6654.  I can click the TDMS Importer from within Excel, pick my TDMS file and it imports it just fine.  So I uninstalled, and then reinstalled it, but same result. 

I then ran the following command line in an attempt to open a TDMS file using the importer:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\TDM Excel Add-In\ExcelTDMImporter.exe" "C:\Logs\Report\_20180430_151557.tdms"

This is the same as if I double clicked it, it seems to startup and then close.  Looking at the task manager I see Excel.exe start, then the ExcelTDMImporter.exe start, then ExcelTDMImporter.exe goes away, then Excel.exe goes away.  But no new dialogs are seen.

My Excel is 2013 64-bit, Windows 7 x64.  Any suggestions?  Any debug logs to find?

A 64 bit TDMS importer? a "Less than 5 yr old Excel?"   The Logs\Report... looks like a 2018 TDMS add-on (x64) on an old (x32?) install?

I could very well learn something... just asking questions

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,395 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hooovahh

Okay so in playing around with it I figured out how to get it to work.  That single installer does include both 32-bit and 64-bit components, that wasn't my problem.  You'll find them in the Program Files (x86) or Program Files NI Shared folder.  My problem happened to be related to some conflict with other Excel Add-ons installed.  I had installed Foxit PDF reader which came with an Excel PDF Add-on.  I never intended on using it since Excel can export to PDF anyway.  Once I uninstalled Foxit PDF reader, double clicking on a TDMS file imported it in Excel like it should.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,365 Views)