From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCP datra , send - receive - slowing down

Hi guys,

I have a problem with tcp/ip connection, it works very slowly and I cannot find the source of my problem.

I attached screen from wireshark.

10.93.1.105 - server

10.93.1.244 - client

As you can see in the pictures, when I force data to send, server responses pretty fast. But receving data in Labview works very slow(the next data is send when previous is received)

So I assume it shouldnt take more than 200ms. After 5 mins since start it takes like 1s to receive answer, after 15mins it takes like 4-5s....

Is there any leakage or I should clean buffer or what?

In read_buffer.vi you have got full structure. I have header - forces server to send size of data in the buffer, when this size is different that 0 starts to read them.

I have verifed that in wireshark, microcontroller(server) sends everything correctly, and correct size.

I attached 3 files - these show my problem.

thank you for any advices.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,159 Views)

Hi Mirasoul,

• there are lots of wait functions in your code: usually you don't need additional waits in server-client communication…
  • you are reading/writing to a lot of property nodes, the can (potentially) slow down your VI…

After 5 mins since start it takes like 1s to receive answer, after 15mins it takes like 4-5s....

Is there any leakage or I should clean buffer or what?

Do you build big arrays? As you do in that Read VI with repeatedly using InsertIntoArray with allo those hidden controls/indicators?

That would explain such behaviour…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,138 Views)

Hi,

first of all thank you for answer.

there are lots of wait functions in your code: usually you don't need additional waits in server-client communication…

- meaningless in this software, it doesnt explain why it slows down in time.

you are reading/writing to a lot of property nodes, the can (potentially) slow down your VI…

- meaning less, there was not a big amount of data

Do you build big arrays? As you do in that Read VI with repeatedly using InsertIntoArray with allo those hidden controls/indicators?

- it could be it, but its not....

I send updated version. Still doesnt work correctly.

I removed all data collectors, but still wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,130 Views)

Hi Mirasoul,

more suggestions:

- combine your 3 TCPWrite operations into just one by appending the 3 arrays into just one. No need for those tiny statemachines to send a request to your device.

- there still are waits in both loops: 30ms in the receiver loop, 25ms in the sender loop. What's that weird coupling between the loops using a value property of that summed up enum value?

- there's no error handling in your (main) VI: do you get any errors while running the VI?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,124 Views)

- combine your 3 TCPWrite operations into just one by appending the 3 arrays into just one. No need for those tiny statemachines to send a request to your device.

Unfortunately, not possible. These are procedures for Microcontroler bootloader(just simplified, to show an idea of work). So it has be in this way. ...->adress->feedback->length->feedback->data->feedback->address->...

- there still are waits in both loops: 30ms in the receiver loop, 25ms in the sender loop. What's that weird coupling between the loops using a value property of that summed up enum value?

-updated in the attached version

- there's no error handling in your (main) VI: do you get any errors while running the VI?

-none

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,119 Views)

Hi Mirasoul,

So it has be in this way. ...->adress->feedback->length->feedback->data->feedback->address->...

So why do you separate sending and receiving into 2 loops?

Why not implement a proper state machine to exactly follow those steps?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,117 Views)

You can try disabling the Nagle algorithm. This will force the TCP to write the data as soon as it gets it.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,098 Views)

Where did you get this VI? It looks suspiciously like a VI that I believe to have posted somewhere around fall of last year somewhere but I can't find the post where I did that for the life of me. And I'm afraid that at least the Mac implementation might not be quite right though haven't tested that yet.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,041 Views)

Doesnt matter where he got it. 

According to main subject.

I used queues to separate transfer layers and it solved problem. It was newbie problem:).

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,017 Views)

@Mirasoul wrote:

Doesnt matter where he got it. 

According to main subject.

I used queues to separate transfer layers and it solved problem. It was newbie problem:).

That's easy to say if you aren't the author.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,002 Views)