From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCP/IP on Sb Rio losing connection on Restart

I have two Rios, which I eventually intend to expand to around 8 or so.

My question is, my server and client work without any issues when running, and will run for long periods of time with no issues. If I disconnect the Ethernet from one, and then reconnect, they will find each other again. Now both are Servers, and both are Clients for each other. 

However, my issue comes up when the Rio restarts. When it restarts, they tend not to reconnect with each other on restart. The device that restarts is able to send data, but not receive data. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this may be and what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,352 Views)

I'd be interested to know whether your sbRIOs are using static or dynamic addressing.  If they are using dynamic addressing, they could be receiving a different IP address each time they reboot, potentially causing packets to be sent to the wrong address.  They therefore would not receive data.

Getting more information on how you are implementing the servers would also be valuable.

Trevor H.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,319 Views)

@Trevor.H wrote:

I'd be interested to know whether your sbRIOs are using static or dynamic addressing.  If they are using dynamic addressing, they could be receiving a different IP address each time they reboot, potentially causing packets to be sent to the wrong address.  They therefore would not receive data.

Getting more information on how you are implementing the servers would also be valuable.

Static addressing. 

I think I worded it poorly. It's not restarting that's causing the issue. It works fine with the restarting part.

When power is lost, and then you start it up again, it's then that it can't connect. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,306 Views)

Thank you for the addressing method clarification.  I have a couple other clarifying questions:

1. How do you know the data is not being received?  Are you getting a timeout error on the TCP Read?
  2. Would it be possible to see a screenshot of your implementation?
  3. Are you directly connecting the sbRIOs, or running the ethernet cabling through a switch?  If not, could you try direct connecting them?
  4. What model sbRIOs are you using?
Trevor H.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,290 Views)