From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T or F "The DAQCard-6062E can scan multiple channels at the same maximum rate as their single-channel rate."

Please, read and Question 1 and 2, and answer Question 3 for me.

I have a DAQCard6062E.

The maximum single-channel scan rate is 500KS/s.

Question 1: Can "The DAQCard-6062E scan 2 channels at the maximum single-channel scan rate of 500KS/s" ?
Question 2: Can "The DAQCard-6062E scan 10 channels at the maximum single-channel scan rate of 500KS/s" ?

Answer 1: No, "The DAQCard-6062E can scan 2 channels at a maximum scan rate of 250KS/s, scan rates set greater than 250KS/s give an error"
Answer 2: No, "The DAQCard-6062E can scan 10 channels at a maximum scan rate of 50KS/s, scan rates set greater than 50KS/s give an error""

Question
3 (True or False)

"The DAQCard-6062E can scan multiple channels at the same maximum rate as their single-channel rate."

please answer "True" or "False"

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,901 Views)
I think it's False.
I had a similar question and wanted to be sure of such "obvious" question. Could you let's know your point of asking this?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,901 Views)
This FALSE statement is in the first line of the "Multichannel Scanning Considerations" section on page 3-5 of the DAQCard-6062E User Manual.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,901 Views)
False.

A "sample" is one data point acquired from one channel. A "scan" is one data point acquired from each of the channels listed in a "scan list". The maximum scan rate is equal to the maximum sample rate of the DAQCard divided by the number of channels in the scan list.

The specifications listed for DAQCards and other DAQ boards are xxx kS/s where the units are kilo-Samples per second.

Dan Press
www.primetest.com
Message 3 of 11
(2,901 Views)
This FALSE statement is in the first line of the "Multichannel Scanning Considerations" section on page 3-5 of the DAQCard-6062E User Manual.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 11
(2,627 Views)
The only cards that do not follow the rule that Photon Dan describes are those that explicitly state "Simultaneous Sampling". These have more than one Analog to Digital converter and can clock in several chanels at the same time. Most cards have one Analog to digital converter and a multiplexer which can divide the sampling over several channels (16 for example), but not all at the same time.

-Jim
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,901 Views)
Most of the NI simultaneous sample & hold devices (that I've worked with) do NOT have multiple ADC's. They use some mystical (to me) analog circuitry to maintain the voltage levels over a period of time so that one ADC can convert all the levels at a delay, but the levels are latched within a few nanoseconds of each other (the ADC still takes a few microseconds.)

I think there are a few devices that actually have multiple ADC's though.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,901 Views)
Dailing,

False. The maximum scan rate of the card can be calculated in the following manner:

Max Scan rate = (Max Sampling Rate)/(# of channels)

The sample rate is a measure of how fast the board can take a sample. If you are scanning multiple channels the sample rate is spread across those channels. Hence the equation above.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,901 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,901 Views)
The only cards that do not follow the rule that Photon Dan describes
are those that explicitly state "Simultaneous Sampling". These have
more than one Analog to Digital converter and can clock in several
chanels at the same time. Most cards have one Analog to digital
converter and a multiplexer which can divide the sampling over several
channels (16 for example), but not all at the same time.

-Jim

[This is a duplicate post from a system glitch - this post was not removed because of the comment to this post]
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,901 Views)