From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Monitor not available for LV > 9

Does anyone have a solution for NI System Monitor using LV since 2009.  The current version 1.1.1 available at NI System Monitor 1.1.1 has an installer that is only setup for LV 8.5 through 9.  There is one article How Do I Install NI System Monitor Support for LabVIEW 2011 or LabVIEW 2010? that discusses installing on a later version but I don't have such an old installation sitting around to easily use.

Has this product been discontinued?  NI seems to stil be selling the system monitor board, the NI PXI-8250.  It also seems that they never updated the NI System Monitor software to use the 6 signalling LEDs.  A "small technical issue" was to be fixed but that hasn't happened. PXI-8250 User LEDs Not Accessible  The fix was "planned" for a future release but since that statement LV 11 and LV 12 have been released and the System Monitor software is still at version 1.1.1 and woefully out of date.

NI needs to either keep the software current or EOL the whole product and tell folks that the hardware they bought is not compatible with newer software.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,508 Views)

Hi sth,

The best way to be able to use the NI System Monitor would be to download and install LabVIEW 2009 from our ni.com/downloads page. To access LabVIEW 2009, you will need a support service subscription (SSP) that comes with the free updates of LabVIEW every year. 

The product has not officially been EOL'd and we still offer options for support with the curent version of LabVIEW for customers with SSP.

As for the LEDS issue, I cannot comment on the progress that R&D has made in this regard.

Regards,

James D.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,489 Views)

That does not seem the best way to me.  The best way would be for NI to provide System Monitor 1.1.2 which installs on LabVIEW 10, 11 and 12 as well as the currently supported ones and realtime.

Telling the customer that they have to jump through hoops and hours of downloading, installing, hand moving files and then uninstalling spurious software is hardly the "best" solution.  That version of support for the current version of LabVIEW for shipping current hardware is sort of amateur.  If that is the only way to get those files out of the installer and in the correct place then it is hardly a "supported" solution but one I will have to live with.

As a further question has anyone tested that solution?  The knowledge based reference article seems to imply that it has only been tested for LV 11 and lower.  I might expect that LabVIEW 12 will work as well but if it has been tested then the article should be updated.  If it hasn't been tested you should let me know that I am on my own here.

The question about the LEDs was to get a followup.  Can you ask R&D about progress?  Is there a CAR for this issue that can be tracked or has it been forgotten?  By even asking R&D about it, it will go back on the stack of "to do" items.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,484 Views)

Hi sth,

I will get in touch with R&D to inquire about whether the process described in the KnowledgeBase for installing the System Monitor for later versions of LabVIEW have been officially tested with LabVIEW 2012. If the article needs to be updated I'll make sure to do so. 

The progress for the LED issue simply depends on when a new version of the software will be released. Unfortunately, at this time there is no information as to when a new version will be available. 

Regards,

James D.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,468 Views)

Hi sth,

I spoke with R&D and have confirmed that work is currently being done to release a new version of NI System Monitor that will be supported with LabVIEW 2010 through 2012. I still, however, cannot provide any kind of timeline as to when this will be released, but keep an eye out on our website for the new version.

Regards,

James D.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,463 Views)

James,

Thanks for the info.   That is good to hear!  If they implement the LEDs in the next release that is just icing on the cake.  It is nice if the drivers support the hardware functions.  It isn't like NI releases the register specs for the drivers.  Not like the old days.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,458 Views)