From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing OXCO to External Clock

Is there any way to sync the OXCO in the 6674T to an external clock? For proof of concept purposes, I want to sync the OXCO in the 6674T to a 10 MHz function generator. I know the function generator is noisier, but I am curious if this is possible? From reading the documentation, it seems possible to re-calibrate the OXCO, but I want to keep its accuracy.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,840 Views)

The 6674T has a Clk_In connector that will accept a 10 Mhz Signal. See page 9 of the manual.

This input has a bunch of requirements for the signal. See page 16 of the manual for the electrical requirements. 

The incoming signal has stability requirements for the card to successfully sync and give you a stable clock. See page 7 of the spec sheet.

So, yes it will do what you want as long as your incoming signal meets all the requirements. 

—Ben
Prevent your computer from sleeping programmatically!
Use Power Requests
Download from GitHub

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,777 Views)

So I am able to bring an external 10 MHz clock into the Chassis backplane, but I dont seem to be able to set the Oscillator as the destination. I tried hooking the following:

10 MHz --> CLKIN --> PXI-CLK10 (this is the chassis backplane from my understanding)

as well as

Oscillator --> CLKOUT

and when connected to a oscilloscope, they arent synchronized. I tried 'breaking labview' by setting oscillator as a destination but it resulted in no success. How do set the OXCO as the destination?

See attached for the relevant part of my VI.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,762 Views)