From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing LabVIEW options between installs

Solved!
Go to solution

I use a couple virtual machines to segment my development of different projects. After doing this for a while, each one has my LabVIEW options (e.g. Show hashmarks for constant folded structures) in a slightly different configuration, which can be annoying. Does anyone have a nice way to sync these so a change in one will automatically show up in my other environments too?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(799 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author OneOfTheDans

Copy LabVIEW.ini from the install you like to all the others

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(783 Views)

I'll give that a try, thanks. Maybe I can use SyncThing or some other tool to automatically sync the settings too. Do you know if there are any caveats within that .ini file? For example, if I have different modules installed on different VMs? I don't want to "automatically" corrupt my config on another setup.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(708 Views)

@OneOfTheDans wrote:

I'll give that a try, thanks. Maybe I can use SyncThing or some other tool to automatically sync the settings too. Do you know if there are any caveats within that .ini file? For example, if I have different modules installed on different VMs? I don't want to "automatically" corrupt my config on another setup.

I'd filter out the Getting Started Window options (GSWpinned values,) recent colors, recent files and recent projects keys and use the per-machine values instead.  Everything else is machine agnostic.

A simple merge using a text dif tool would be helpful but, of course you could sort the keys and write a nifty vi to merge them yourself.

Module licensing and availability is handled under the License Manager so that is not an issue for merging the LabVIEW.ini files.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 4
(684 Views)