From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronize cRIO system clock to a PC

I am going to install an acquisition system based on a cRIO-9056 (Linux-RT) and a Windows 10 Pro PC.

They will be connected to each other in a private network (no time servers, no Internet).

I need to synchronize the cRIO system clock to the computer clock (low precision).

In a previous system including a compactFieldPoint (installed 14 years ago), I was able to configurate the cFP to keep in synch with its PC; honestly, I don't remember exactly how, but I'm sure it was not so complicated.

However, I could not find any settings on the cRIO device to do this.

This is the installed software:

cRIO software.png

Thank you in advance to anyone can point me to the right direction

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,680 Views)

Hi pincpanter.  Probably the easiest way to do this is with ntp.  You will need to run an ntp server on the w10 computer (I don't know whether this is built in to w10, but should be readily available to download if it is not), then configure ntp on the cRIO client to connect to the w10 server.  The file to edit on Linux-RT is /etc/ntp.conf.  This will make the time sync between the devices automatic.

Hope that helps, let us know.

Matt

Message 2 of 3
(2,618 Views)

Thank you Matthew for the suggestion, however this did not work. I probably failed in activating an ntp server on Windows (found some documentation on the internet).

Since my acquisition program is going to be active all the time, I preferred to give up and let the program manage the synchronization using theSet Time vi in the RT Utilities palette.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,582 Views)