From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions to deal with legacy codes?

Hi all,

We just upgraded LabView from 8.5 to 2011 (with vision acquisition and vision development) after we decided to pull an old project out from the drawer. When I attempted to load up some legacy codes, the new version is not able to find the legacy "IMAQ for IEEE 1394" VIs in the new Vision Acquisition, as well as some legacy libraries from the old Vision Acquisition. For example:

<vilib>:\imaq1394\imaq1394.llb\IMAQ1394 GetVideoModes.vi

<vilib>:\imaq1394\imaq1394.llb\IMAQ1394 Attribute Inquiry.vi

<vilib>:\imaq1394\imaq1394.llb\IMAQ1394 Attribute.vi

and

<vilib>:\Vision\ROI Construct.llb\IMAQ Select Rectangle

<vilib>:\Vision\Management.llb\IMAQ Copy

<vilib>:\Vision\Image Manipulation.llb\IMAQ Resample

What is the best way to point LabView to the corresponding VIs in the newer version? I am totally new to LabView and any direction is welcome. 

Thanks a lot!

omi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,577 Views)

When you want to load old code into a more current version of LV the first thing you need to verify is that the existing external devices (in your case image acquisition) are supported by the new version of LV. Next assuming that it is, when you go to open the old code you will need to manually point LV to the new location of the VIs that it needs.

The way the process works is very simple: Any time LV doesn't find a VI where it expects it it does a search for it. If it finds it during that search it will relink to it automatically. If it can't find what it needs, it opens a dialog box that allows you to manually locate and open the file.

Once you find all the subVIs you will still need to save everything and perhaps fix a few broken wires - NI has been known to change the interface to driver VIs.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 4
(2,560 Views)

Hi Mike,

The walk through is very helpful, and thanks a lot for the reply.

I did get the dialog boxes asking me to relink to the sub VIs in the new version. I tried looking into Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\(subfolders), and I couldn't find any VIs. I do find some .llb files. Is that the right place to look for the VIs? Or where else do the VIs live on a Windows 7 machine?

Million thanks!

Omi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,556 Views)
Yes the LLBs are places where you might find the missing Vis. In terms of whet to look the directory you name is pointing in the right direction but still not all the way there.
Inside the "National Instruments" Directory will be one called LabVIEWxxx, where xxxx is the version on LV you are running. Then inside that is a directory called vi.lib. Inside that should be all the Vis you needs.
Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 4 of 4
(2,543 Views)