LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subpanel disabled

Hello all,

Another strange problem...

Window A calls dialog B, which has a Subpanel.  Whatever I put in the Subpanel is completely disabled, as in cannot be clicked.  I have localized the problem to this:  I call dialog B without the option "Show front panel when called".  I do my own initialization, place the window where I want it and then show the FP.  In this case, the Subpanel is disabled.  If I only enable the option "Show front panel when called", it works as expected.  Can anyone explain or propose a solution?  I'm using Labview 7.1.1.

Thanks
Christie
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,000 Views)

LV optimise efficiency of subvis if they dont need to be showed by not updating their front panel.

i guess you have to "show front panel when called" if you plan to show it.

could you post the vi?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wires...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,995 Views)
Hello Gabi,

Thanks for your reply.

I wish I could post the VI, but it's very deeply integrated into the software.  I have found an even worse problem.  Even with the current fix, it only works the first time.  The second time I call it, the whole dialog locks up.  No updates, no working buttons.  If I open the diagrams, all the VIs are executing happily (not receiving any events when I click the buttons, though).  It looks similar to events locking all FP controls, except it's not that.

Any more ideas, anyone?
Christie
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,981 Views)

do you have an event structure with "lock front panel until completed"?

you could post the whole software, i dont mind 🙂

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 9
(2,972 Views)
I do have such an event structure, but it's not locked.  To make sure, I set them all not to lock... no difference.  I have determined that the VI in the subpanel can still do graphical updates, but all input, both keyboard and mouse, is disabled.

1 Month from now... "I wonder why our sales suddenly dropped?  And what do they mean the NI forums are overloaded?"  Smiley Indifferent

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,955 Views)

Christie,

you give too little / no practical information for us to help you. try to create a strip down version of your development that you could upload.
can you operate in "highlight execution", in order to find where it stuck? did you try to put probes everywhere that seems problematic?

@Christie wrote:
1 Month from now... "I wonder why our sales suddenly dropped?  And what do they mean the NI forums are overloaded?"  Smiley Indifferent

need sale booster with LV help? i am on the market! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,951 Views)
Fair enough.  I was hoping someone would recognize the problem and go "I know that problem!  It took me ages to solve, here's the solution..."

I just solved one problem while trying to strip down the dialog.  It seems that when I do "Register dynamic events" and close the dialog without doing "Unregister dynamic events", some events end up not being serviced, thus locking the dialog when I re-open it.  Glad that is sorted.

Still don't know why I need to enable "Show FP when called", though.

Sale booster, hey?  One can always do with more sales.  You do contract work for a living?

Thanks for the help.
Christie
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,946 Views)

opening a reference to a vi will not automatically enable its front panel. what normally you would do is run the vi, not wait until done, then insert into subpanel.

since just insertion of the vi into the subpanel doesnt really call it, if you do not so explicitely i would expect it to stay grey-disabled. also, if vi is self terminating then you will have a disabled vi in the subpanel in any case.

i am not sure i can help more without seing the actual code.

Note: for my current and future positions look here:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=JobSearch&message.id=495

my contact info are there 🙂

Message Edited by Gabi1 on 09-07-2007 12:45 PM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,940 Views)

Hi,

I call the dialog as a modal subVI.  I have taken every precaution regarding references, etc.  I think it's probably just an Labview oversight.  It is probably fixed in the newer version.  I'll find a way around it.

Ultracold Physics sure sounds like a nice playground.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,907 Views)