LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SubVI's for Global Minimization

Hello everyone,

The optimization subVI's with labview (most of them) solves for local minima. Is there any subVI which does the global minimization and gives estimates?

cheers,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,300 Views)

Navneet:

From Wikipedia:
"Finding an arbitrary local optimum is relatively straightforward by using local optimisation methods.
Finding the global maximum or minimum of a function is much more challenging and has been practically
impossible for many problems so far."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_optimization

If you have a specific method that you know of and would like to use, you could likely code that in LabVIEW.
What method were you considering using for estimation?

Best,

Tori W.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,261 Views)

Thanks Tori for discussing.

I have used the available subVI's for finding parameter estimates and it has worked well so far.

But someone pointed out that there is a chance I am being trapped by a local minima and to see if I can work a solution around it.

I am thinking if anybody has tried to this coding in LabVIEW, specially coding the simulated annealing method.

The thing is I have found I can do all analysis and everything I need to do with LabVIEW so I dont want to deviate to any other platform. 

Plus have been using labview for the past 11 years :), so trying to see how best I can do this.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,247 Views)

Navneet:

So I am not able to find any these type of methods coded already. I think it would be great to add this
to our Idea Exchange board to generate some interest in it. This would also make a great community example
if you are able to generate some sample code. Sounds like an interesting idea overall and I wish you luck.
Keep in touch if you have any more specific questions about implementing this.

Best,

Tori W.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,218 Views)