LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strict type def causes void wire

HI all,

I am having a problem with LV and was wondering if anybody else has seen this. The images Capture1 and Capture2 about sums it up. Note the lack of error descriptions in Capture1 and the unbroken arrow in Capture2.

The attached images are from project 'T7 Foids.lvproj'. The class included in the typedef resides in project common. The typedef resides in 'T7 Foids.lvlib' which resides in 'T7 Foids.lvproj'

The VI in Capture2 did run correctly when I pushed the arrow. On completion the arrow broke. The 'Nodelist' control is an array of 'type FFP Refs'.

Previously everything was part of 'T7 Foids.lvproj' and the program was running fine. I had to move some code to a common project because other programs will use the same code.

Between having a working program and a broken one I did the following, I can't remember in which order:
- Moved some code to the common.lvproj.
- Removed those code from the T7 Foids.lvproj
- Set Treat RO VIs as locked = true, Dont save automatic changes = true
- Set the common code read only in the OS

This problem is intermittent and I have to restart LV (as opposed to reopening the project) after every change to see if it fixed the problem. I have not yet been able to consistently fix nor recreate the problem.

I am trying to remove the VIs from the project while still having the error, but have not yet succeeded.

I am using LV 8.2.1

I will appreciate any advice or pointers.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,913 Views)
If you check your project dependencies what do you see?

-Bob
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,869 Views)
Hi Bob

In the common project there are a lot of LV VIs which are called.

In the main project all the classes and lvlibs of the common project are listed as well as the LV stuff.

I don't know what I'm looking for, but it looks fine to me.

I attached screenshots showing the dependencies.

It looks as if the order in which I open VIs has something to do with it. Today I managed to cause the broken arrow (almost) at will.

To create the broken I did:
- Open LV, Open Common proj, Open main proj
- Open Init.VI (attached). This breaks arrow
- Create new VI or open a VI not using type FFP Refs

To create the unbroken I did:
- Open LV, Open Common proj, Open main proj
- Create new VI or open a VI not using type FFP Refs
- Open Init.VI (attached).
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,849 Views)
I was curious to see if there were any dependency errors listed, however, I can see from your screenshots there are not.  It still sounds to me like some dependency issue lies with the project and the method used to remove VIs from the project.  I am curious, if you were to open each VI used in this project and save a duplicate (not by copy/paste but actually File>>Save As>>Copy>>Substitute copy for original) to your desktop.  Then in a new project file add these files to the project.  Does this issue still occur? 

This should retain the integrity of your original project file if you do not modify the file location of the VIs referenced by your original project.  What I am recommending is to save copies of your VIs using LabVIEW to a folder and adding them to a fresh project.

-Bob
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,818 Views)
That sound like quite a lot of work. I will do that as time permits.

For the moment I found a workaround. Make a source distribution from the common project and copy that into the main project folder. That way each project has its own copy of the common vis and I use only one project at a time.

I will post again when I completed the save as... exercise.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,803 Views)
Just an update.

I haven't done the save as... thing yet but I have in the meantime upgraded to LV8.5. I did not get the problem again since upgrading so it seems to be fixed in the new version.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,741 Views)