LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream data to disk at lower rate than sampling

Hello,

I am attempting to use a PXIe system to digitize data, implement a threshold counter via an FPGA, and stream data to disk at a lower rate than the sampling. My system uses the following hardware: 

Digitizer: NI 5781

FPGA: PXIe 7965R

Hard Disk: HDD 8263

The NI 5781 has a sampling rate of 100MS/s and I am hoping to buffer data to disk at a rate of 1 MHz to both decrease file size and speed up the analysis performed on the files. My initial idea was to have two SCTL, one clocked at the 100MS/s (using the IO Module Data Clock 0) which retrieves the data and implements the threshold counter, and another operating at 1MHz (derived clock) which sends the current count to disk (via a target to host FIFO).

First, I noticed that from the 40MHz onboard clock it will be better to derive a 2.5 MHz clock (1/16), which is not a big deal. Initially, I was trying to use a target-scoped FIFO to send the data between the two SCTL but I am having compilation errors related to the clocks. 

Before getting too deep into my approach, is this a good way to tackle my problem? 
Also, instead of a target-scoped FIFO maybe it would be better to use a global variable? Is there any way to sample at a lower rate intially? 

I had some success using case structures and only sending the data to disk only when the loop counter was equal to some value (say 100 to get a 1MHz buffer rate), and then resetting the loop counter. This felt like a hack and I thought having two clocks might be more elegant. I have attempted searching online for guidelines but haven't found anything too useful. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best

Nolan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,770 Views)

@nkmath wrote:

I had some success using case structures and only sending the data to disk only when the loop counter was equal to some value (say 100 to get a 1MHz buffer rate), and then resetting the loop counter. This felt like a hack and I thought having two clocks might be more elegant. I have attempted searching online for guidelines but haven't found anything too useful. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is not a hack at all.  It works quite well and all of your acquisition is in a single place and it is simple.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,767 Views)

In DAQmx, it is not at all unusual to sample, say, 1000 points at 1KHz, which means that you "get data" once per second (true, 1000 points ...), which you can then put in a Queue to the Consumer Loop that writes it to disk, averages it and displays it, or whatever.  You're just doing the same thing at a much higher rate ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,751 Views)