From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange behavior with List Folder on Mac

I ran across some strange behavior with "List Folder.vi" on labview mac (yosemite, lv 2014 x64) and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light.

We're saving a file to a network drive but it doesn't show up when we call List folder. The vi returns all other files present on the drive, but omits recently created ones. We've confirmed the file does exists using finder and the command line (in labview).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,750 Views)

Hi Wongkew, this is Chris with NI Applications Engineering. The link below shows our OS Support which includes LabVIEW Compatibility by OS.

LabVIEW Operating System Support

http://www.ni.com/labview/os-support/

The table included shows that LabVIEW 2014 is not supported by Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. This does not mean that it is necessarily broken for this reason, but it has not been tested with NI so results are sometimes inconsistent.

Do you have any screenshots of your front panel and block diagram? That would help determine just exactly what is happening with your List Folder command.

I would also recommend reading over this forum post on Lava about incorrectly reading network folders using "List Folder." I would double check the files that are not showing up and make sure the file names do not start with any of the characters listed. This might not be an issue, but it wouldn’t hurt to check!

"List Folder" Returns Incorrect Results for Folders on Network Drives

https://lavag.org/topic/10982-list-folder-returns-incorrect-results-for-folders-on-network-drives/

Let me know how those steps go for you!

Chris

National Instruments

Applications Engineering

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,691 Views)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I just doubled checked my version and found I'm actually using Labview 2014 SP1. Additionally, I've seen the same behavior with LabVIEW 2016 on El Capitan.

My issue doesn't seem to be related to the the nameing of the files, as they have pretty standard names. I've attached a simple vi that demonstrates the differences between what I expect to see and what shows up with List Folder.

Here's the setup:

1. Created new folder called Test Folder

2. Added File.txt and File 2.txt

3. Ran my program which added Basic.sqc

4. Added File 3.txt

5. Ran Files in Foler.vi

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,674 Views)

I do not have a networked drive so I cannot check for the issue you are seeing.

It seems to me that I have (not?) seen recently created files not show up in Finder windows or file dialogs for several seconds after the creation.  I have not seen this effect recently but I have not been doing the kinds of things that led to the behavior.

Thinking back I wonder if the application which created/wrote the files had not released an access lock on them?  I do not have any easy way to test that.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,664 Views)