LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepper motor control using PCI 6024E card?

Respected Sir,
It was very nice and kind of one of the friends to provide me with stepper library,It would be further generous of you you if you could provide me the following details:

How can a stepper motor be controlled with a PCI 6024E card?
What kind of Power drive would you recommend for a stepper motor of four phase?
What are the connections that are to be made from the PCI 6024E (CB 68LP) connector block and the stepper motor via the power drive?
What are the drawbacks of the controlling the stepper motor with a PCI 6024E card?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,948 Views)
Hello;

To give you better a advise, I'd probably need more information about the stepper motor and how that one can be controled.

Usualy, you can send some TTL pulses that will increase/decrease the actual position of the motor. If that is the case, you probably can use one of the counters of the board to generate the pulse train.

Regards
Filipe
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,948 Views)
Dear Filipe,
Thanks for your answer,I would like to tell you in detail about the stepper motor:
The stepper motor I am supposed to control is a 4 phase stepper motor used to rotate the grating of a monochromator,it has 200 steps each step corresponds to 0.02Angstrom.I just want that the monochromatoe rotates at a particualr speed, I do not want any kind of feedback to control the stepper motor. The current requirement of the stepper motor is 1 Ampere.
I have the following questions w.r.t the stepper motor:
Can I interface the stepper motor directly to the CB 68 LP I/O board (PCI 6024E card)?
Can I interface the PCI 6024E to the stepper motor without any damage to the card?
Please guide me as to how I should proceed?
Since the motor I am using is a 4 ph
ase motor then what kind of driver will you suggest??
I want to avoid drivers and try and test the stepper motor directly with PCI 6024E cards?
Please help me with this job.
Thanking you
Himanshu Mishra
IIT Kanpur
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,947 Views)
Hi Himanshu,

Allow me to offer some input on your questions:

>Can I interface the stepper motor directly to the CB 68 LP I/O board (PCI 6024E card)?

Since the current requirement of your stepper motor is 1A, the DAQ card cannot source enough current to drive your motor. You would need to have a driver circuit or motor amplifier to source the current necessary to energize the coils in your motor. If you are using the digital lines on the 6024E card, the TTL high (+5V) can only output 13mA. You can find this information in the 6024E manual at ni.com/manuals and searching for the 6024E manual.

>Can I interface the PCI 6024E to the stepper motor without any damage to the card?

If you exceed any specifications to the DAQ card, you can damage the board. This is typically applying too much voltage or current directly to the card. If you are trying to use the digital output ports on the DAQ card to drive the motor directly, it actually won't work and should not do any damage. Since the digital outputs cannot source enough current, you will see that it will be unable to hold the voltage. It is not advisable to connect the motor directly to the card without a driver circuit or motor amplifier. You could potentially damage the card if you accidentally short other components or connect the motor up in other ways

>Please guide me as to how I should proceed?
>Since the motor I am using is a 4 phase motor then what kind of driver will you suggest??

The easiest way to drive a stepper motor is to use hardware that is designed specifically for the application. You can find such products by visiting ni.com/motion.

>I want to avoid drivers and try and test the stepper motor directly with PCI 6024E cards?

Unfortunately, the card cannot source that much current to drive the motor. You'll need an external power supply with driver circuit, or a dedicated motor amplifier to have your motor turn.

Hope this helps!

Wilbur Shen
Web Support and Operations
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,948 Views)