From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State machine won't stop

Solved!
Go to solution

BIll,

Incrementing the contents of the shift register inside a state qualifies, because (1) the change is determined by the contents of the current state and (2) the programmer could easily change it to do something else.  For example increment when a voltage is below a lower threshold, decrement if the voltage is above an upper threshold, and no change when it is between the thresholds.

Using the "i" value moves the determination of the next state outside the current state which is why we do not consider that to be a state machine.

Lynn

Message 21 of 24
(301 Views)

I completely agree with Lynn's assessment.

Bill, I appreciate your messages back and forth on this.  I'm not going to claim I'm correct on what the exact definition of a state machine is.  But this thread has given me the means to put down in writing the concepts I've been building in my head through the years as to what a state machine is and isn't.

Message 22 of 24
(293 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I completely agree with Lynn's assessment.

Bill, I appreciate your messages back and forth on this.  I'm not going to claim I'm correct on what the exact definition of a state machine is.  But this thread has given me the means to put down in writing the concepts I've been building in my head through the years as to what a state machine is and isn't.

At the same time, you two are hleping me to do the same thing.  I am following your trains of thought and they seems pretty logical..  I had some abstract notions of just what a state machine is; now I have some very concrete examples and reasons.  You are helping me to become a better CLD.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 24
(289 Views)

Look at the Wikipedia article on "Finite-state machine". It does a pretty good job of describing the concepts and some implementations.

Lynn

Message 24 of 24
(276 Views)