From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting out with cRIO

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

What's the most inexpensive way to start programming for FPGA cRIO based applications? I'm interested in learning to develop for an FPGA and cRIO but can't afford the cRIO, is there an inexpensive way to simulate for these (I think even the realtime drivers may be expensive) 

I found this RIO eval kit, but I'm not sure if it's what I need to start learning cRIO/FPGA LabVIEW development? 

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/205722

much thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,151 Views)

Hi Fibo,

using the myRIO should be the cheapest way with NI hardware: for students (or other qualified people) you get this at a price tag of ~250Euro (in Germany)…

Why don't you call your local NI sales office?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(2,133 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fibo

Yes - I agree with GerdW that the myRIO is a great way to get started with cRIO & RT/FPGA programming. It's very easy to set up and use.

I recently used one for a personal project - making a giant version of Tetris! (https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-35435)

I can also recommend the eval kit - it comes with a single board RIO an addon board that contains lots of useful things for starting out with RT/FPGA programming (an LCD display, analogue input/outputs that are linked, some push-buttons etc.). I currently have one on my desk at work as we've been doing some stuff recently with LCD displays. They also have onboard CAN (e.g. automotive) so if you're interested in doing anything with that then I don't think you can do that with the myRIO.

If you can't get the myRIO cheaply enough (because you're not a student - but it's worth talking to NI anyway) then the eval kit is a bit more representative of what it's like to use a cRIO and you can get further with it without needing any additional hardware.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,101 Views)