LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start/stop button to start and stop and start again

Hi, 

I ran into a problem, the same as described https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000PAp0SAG after installing a GPIB board and a drive found on ni website. They are uninstalled now. However, when I follow the solution and tried to restart the NI Configuration Manager service (it's not started when I found it), it showed the service started and then stopped (Fig. below)

MAXerror.JPG

Is there anything more I can do? Will reinstalling the entire LabView fix the problem? 

Thanks,

Shouyuan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,490 Views)

It is difficult to give advice, as I don't know what software you installed initially, what software you just installed for the GPIB device, what software you uninstalled, and what is the current state of your PC and LabVIEW software.

LabVIEW has always been a bit challenging to install.  With the newest versions (LabVIEW 2017 and 2018), the addition of the NI Package Manager and its links with NI Licensing have made a complex system even more difficult, particularly by making uninstallation trickier.

In particular, what did you uninstall?  If you uninstalled "too much", then I would recommend a complete uninstall, followed by a reboot, followed by a complete reinstall, making sure to include the NI-488.2 Drivers (that's what does GPIB) in your installation selections.  Be sure all the components that you install come from the same version of LabVIEW.  If there is someone with a lot of LabVIEW experience around, ask them for help, particularly in the uninstallation step (despite having installed and uninstalled more than 100 LabVIEW systems, I managed to render two Windows 10 PCs inoperable with LabVIEW, forcing a reformat of C: and reinstallation of Windows, other programs, and LabVIEW).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,455 Views)

Hi Bob, 

Thanks a lot for the kind suggestions. I'll try the complete uninstall. I realized some posts mentioned cleaning the registry, is it necessary and will a random Reg clean found via google work? 

The GPIB board didn't work directly after inserted, so I suppose lacking of drive and found http://download.ni.com/support/softlib/gpib/Win%20NT/Setup.exe (only one on NI that matches the year) and installed. When I found the system didn't work (it also crashed my OS), I uninstalled this driver and unplug the board. 

Thank you very much!

Shouyuan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,427 Views)

No, no, no, no, no!  If you want to try a Registry-Cleaning Tool found on Google, there is a far-simpler way of fixing your Computer, one that (like I did) you will be shortly using anyway --

1. Gather your Windows Installation Disk, and the Installation Disks for the other Programs you need.
  2. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C: drive.  Right-click and choose Format.
  3. Go have a cup of coffee (or a can of beer) while your PC is returned to a Known Stable State.
  4. Reinstall Windows.
  5. Reinstall all your other programs.
  6. Reinstall LabVIEW.

Note that it is not necessarily true that mucking around with the Registry will ruin a perfectly good PC.  I can only tell you that when LabVIEW 2017 came out, I tried installing it on three of my PCs, a Windows 7 PC and two Windows 10 PCs.  It didn't install properly (I think I had a strange mix of modules and toolkits that messed things up).  I was able to remove it from the Windows 7 machine, but not from the two Windows 10 machines.  I tried to carefully do a registry cleanout, which took me about a week, after which I followed the 6-step "Clean Uninstall" procedure outlined above.

The Registry is a dangerous place ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,410 Views)

OK, I see what you mean. I cannot afford redeploying the system because the computer also runs a separate driver of a shared facility, which takes many efforts to configure. I'd rather setup a new computer. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,378 Views)

You don't, really, need to "build a new machine" -- you (usually) can safely uninstall all of LabVIEW.  It is just that starting with LabVIEW 2017, which introduced the NI Package Manager, doing a complete uninstall became a little more difficult.  You use NIPM to remove all of the NI Software (you may need to do it twice -- there's a White Paper some place where NI tells you the steps), then you run it once more to remove the only things left, namely NIPM.  Now it is safe to do a reinstall.

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I thought I found a "How To" on the Web, but can't find it now.  However, I posted my own "How To" on the Forum here, and have used it successfully more than once ...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,370 Views)

That sounds great!

I'll try it out and put a DP if possible. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,358 Views)

DP?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,353 Views)