Has anybody written a driver to communicate with Sranford Research SR830
(or similar) via the RS232 interface?

Thanks
Urs Bögli

PS I know the GBIB drivre, but I cannot afford the GBIB card just now 😉
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(9,385 Views)
I don't know much about the 830 lock-in amplifier, but most instruments use the same commands regardless of whether you use GPIB or RS232.

So, I suggest that you download the LabVIEW driver from http://ni.com/idnet/, and modify it to work with the serial port.

It may work with no changes. Or, you may have to modify the Initialize VI by adding "VISA Configure Serial Port" to set the baud rate, parity, handshaking and other RS232 settings.

Let us know if this works. I hope this helps.

Brian
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(9,386 Views)
Brian,

thanks to your hints I did not give up and found a VISA driver library
for the model SR844 on the NI driver sites.
833 is just a faster version of the 830, so there was no problem to use
the driver. As usual the main problem was to find out by try and error
how to connect the PC to the Instrument - the description in the manual
was not really a help!
Urs

Brian Powell schrieb:
> I don't know much about the 830 lock-in amplifier, but most
> instruments use the same commands regardless of whether you use GPIB
> or RS232.
>
> So, I suggest that you download the LabVIEW driver from
> http://ni.com/idnet/, and modify it to work with the serial port.
>
> It may work with no changes. Or, you may have to modify the
> Initialize VI by adding "VISA C
onfigure Serial Port" to set the baud
> rate, parity, handshaking and other RS232 settings.
>
> Let us know if this works. I hope this helps.
>
> Brian
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(9,387 Views)
Can anyone help;

I am new to labview. I have downloaded SR830 VI. I connected with Lock-in-Amplifier and noticed there was a communication. My problem is how to adapt the laboview VI to my need. I need the Lock-in-amplifier to measure resistive voltage and inductive voltage, which is shown on both channels, frequency and the amplitude of current and phase. I would like to have the measurement on a spread sheet. Additionally, I want to communicate with the Lock-in-amp by increasing the frequency and  measuring the above quantities again at same time.
I have laboview 6.
Please help.
-ftosin
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(9,261 Views)
Hi ftosin:

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with this instrument.  I would suggest that you make a new post on the discussion forum to see if anyone in the community could help you more.  Sometimes the new posts get searched a lot more than additions to an old post.  Please try posting a new thread and instead of using LabVIEW as the product, you should select Instrument Drivers.

Hope this helps you out.

Emilie S.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(9,249 Views)

Urs,

I cannot find this VISA driver you speak of (maybe it is no longer in the NI library) but am also interested in runining the SR830 off of a serial port.  I thought it might save some time if I could find the one you reference or yours.  Can you point me in the right direction?  Would you be willing to share yours?

est

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(8,929 Views)
It's still there. Just go to the search page and select Stanford Research.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(8,925 Views)

The only amplifier with a serial port driver on the lab view search page is the 560 which is a pre-amplifier, but I will look at this as well.  The SR844  has a gpib driver.  Or am I not looking in the correct place?

est

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(8,919 Views)
The topic of the thread refers to the 830 so I assumed that was the driver you were looking for. If that's the one, yes it was written for GPIB but it is fairly easy to convert. The GPIB Write and GPIB Read functions have to be replaced with VISA Write and VISA Read and you add the serial port configuration and character termination. The 844 is already written with VISA so it is just a matter of adding the serial port config/termination stuff. You don't mention which version of LabVIEW you are using but recent versions include the HP34401 driver and the initialize function in that driver shows you how to configure the serial port and set the termination character.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(8,916 Views)
Hello Brian,
Thanks for your submission. I found the recent discussion on SR830 very constructive. I have downloaded the VI for SR844 to work with serial port. Could you please let me know to go about changing the initialize VI to be able to communicate through VISA.
Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(8,881 Views)