From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Report - Append Control Image Width Problem / Limitation or Bug?

I am trying to create a Standard Report and am having a hard time placing a XY Graph control on the report. My problem is I want to use the maximum page area to view the graph. For this reason, I am keeping the margins small and increasing the size of the control so that it occupies almost all of the page. What I find is that after a certain limit, the XY graph image output on the report does not increase in size even if you increase the control size. In fact the image will get worse with larger size once beyond the limit. No matter How I try, the Image will not occupy all the area between the Horizontal Margins.

Either this is a bug or undocumented limitation.
Ahh.. One other possibility exists, that I am not smart enough. But if some one can help me here, It will be greatly appreciated.

I am Using LV 8.2 on XP machine.

I am attaching the VI and two PDF files, In "MyReport w1000.pdf" The XY Graph is 1000 Pixels Wide. In "MyReport w2000.pdf" I made it 2000 Pixels wide, however the size of the image did not increase on the report. Also You can notice the difference in quality between the two reports.

To use my vi just size the graph to different sizes and run it, It will output to the default Printer. If you have a PDF writer set as default printer, It will save it to file.

If anyone can help, I thank you and wish you...
Good Luck!

Mache
Message 1 of 12
(4,759 Views)
The Attachments did not go through
Good Luck!

Mache
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,754 Views)
The PDF's
Good Luck!

Mache
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,752 Views)
Have reported this to NI Support.
Looks like it is not a simple oversight on my part. Lets see what they discover.

Good Luck!

Mache
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,683 Views)

Hi Mache,

I faced a similar problem with Labview 8.6. Has NI solved this? Would be glad to know of any alternative to this problem.

Thanks,

Ibbu 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,337 Views)

Hello Ibbu,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. A Corrective Action Request (CAR) has been filed regarding this issue, and I have noted that this occurs in LabVIEW 8.6 as well. As an alternative, I would recommend creating a different type of report, such as HTML. 

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,319 Views)

Vivek_N wrote:

A Corrective Action Request (CAR) has been filed regarding this issue, and I have noted that this occurs in LabVIEW 8.6 as well.

Dear Vivek,

Could you please post the CAR#.

Thanks,

Mathan

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,303 Views)

I do not like Vivek's workaround. "Use HTML report"  is not acceptable when the question is about Standard report. People may want to use Standard report and there is a reason it is called standard.

Anyway one solution is to size the image to most optimum size - as large as possible but retaining the graphical quality. This will still leave you with large white spaces around your graph object.

Second solution that I am using is to Put the graph object and any other elements that I want on my report on a Front panel of a VI. Size the objects and front panel and objects appropriately and then use Print Panel to Printer method to Print the whole VI front panel. In my app. This VI which mimics the report is called from my app and is called Print Preview.  There is even a Vi that allows you to choose the printer. http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/1327

I am attaching a Sample Report and Code Snippet to look at.

Good Luck!

Mache
Download All
Message 8 of 12
(4,282 Views)

Hello Mathan,

The CAR# is 36926. You can call in to check on the status of this CAR.

Mache, thank you for posting the workaround - it looks like a good way of currently going about this with a standard report. 

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,275 Views)

Thanks Mache.

The method you suggested prints the Front panel of the vi onto a single page. Is there a way to print the data in multiple pages?

Message 10 of 12
(4,250 Views)