LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stand alone vi (Windows exe) that uses the cRIO

Can I compile a Labview program which requires a cRIO, but runs as a host on a laptop to an exe application that I can install on another laptop without requiring a Labview installation?

The reason is as follows:
I have an AKD servo/drive requiring a cRIO with scan mode. Also in this cRIO is a 9411 digital input configured to read a quadrature encoder. The quadrature encoder is NOT part of the servo system, it is reading an Ono Sokki linear gauge. The motor is programmed through SOFTMOTION and the Ethercat connection.

I've decided to keep the VI on the Host, as opposed to the RT because I want to use events and some other functions. The Host VI references the motor and the linear sensor through the cRIO, but there is no RT VI running on the cRIO.

Everything runs fine when in the project and in Labview, but I've tried to build an EXE application and when I try to run it, I get some search messages for various libraries.

Is it possible to make an executable (and later a deployment package), that can run on any laptop and "point" to the appropriate cRIO?

Not sure if my question is clear.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,531 Views)

Hi Jeff.

What you would normally do, is to create an exe that runs on the RT target. This application then sends data to another exe that runs on your host. Then you only need the free LabVIEW Run-Time Engine on the host.

You can use Network Streams to stream data from the RT target to the host.

Lossless Communication with Network Streams: Components, Architecture, and Performance

You can also use a Network-Published Shared Variable

Using the LabVIEW Shared Variable

When you run a VI on the host, that has the cRIO as a target, the Block-Diagram part of the VI is executed on the cRIO and the Front-Panel on the host. This is really nice for debugging, but is in general not recommend to use in the final application. Also, this will require a LabVIEW developer system.

If you don't want any NI software on the host, you can consider using a Web Service.

Read more about all this here:

Network the User Interface (Real-Time Module)

Best Regards

Alex E. Munkhaus
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,508 Views)