cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stand alone application not acquiring data

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I have a problem with my stand alone (exe) application. When I run it on the computer with LV installed (the same comp., where the .exe was built), it works fine, collects the data.

When I run the .exe on a remote computer without LV, it doesn't get any data from the acquisiton card (as if the card is not present). On the remote computer I have the LV Run-time engine installed, together with the DAQmx drivers and MAX. The card works fine in MAX and I made sure that the device address is the same as on the LV computer.

Maybe I need to include other software in the installer? The .exe doesn't return any errors when I run it on the remote comp.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tomaž

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,852 Views)

HI,

"Not getting any data means."

There is no output at all(empty wavform array) or the output waveform is just zero with incrementing timestamp?

With regards,
JK
(Certified LabVIEW Developer)
Give Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark it a solution if your problem is solved.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,846 Views)

If the cards are the same address, and the same cards, are you sure it's not a wiring problem?  Check your triggers and other cabling.  Usually, there is an error if something is missing from the system.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,845 Views)

@JK1:

If I save the data on the remote comp and look at the file, it's all exact zeros. But the application is not in fact getting the zero values as the input, because it would behave differently if it would read the values as zero. It's behaving as the .vi would if the card was disconnected (greyed out values on the probe, for example) but without the error messages (if I keep pressing "continue").

@Britoa:

The card is connected OK, it acquires data just fine in MAX. If you're talking about wiring in the .vi, I'm not changing anything in the program. The .exe works fine on the comp with LV installed, connecting the card to the remote computer and running the exe there gives me the above problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,835 Views)

HI Tomaz,

Have you tried debugging your executable running on the target machine? That might help you get closer to the root of the problem.

Please click on this link to see how can you debug applications running on remote machines.

I hope this helps.

Barna D.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,807 Views)

I think I found the problem.

I installed LV on the target machine and ran the .vi, expecting it to work fine. But it behaved the same as the executable - no input data. Opening the DAQ Assistant revealed the problem: the custom scale on the channels was not present on the target machine *bangs head against desk*. Creating a new custom scale solved the problem, I'm guessing the executable would also work now.

What I'm wondering is why was there no error message? Also, why don't the custom scales "go with the .vi"? Wouldn't that be much more user friendly?

Thank you all for your time,

Tomaž

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,800 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomaz79

Hi Tomaz,

It is good that you found what is causing the measurement problems with your application. Daqmx Scale must be included specifically when creating the executable. There are couple of ways to transfer DAQmx scales and other configuration files to target machines. Please refer to following KB for more detailed informations.

How Do I Include Custom Scales When Building an EXE?

However it is quite strange that you do not receive an DAQmx error due to missing scale. Have you wired the error in/out of the functions you are using and place a Simple Error Handler.vi to display the error message? It might happen that the error message just doesn't pop up.

I hope this help.

Barna D.

National Instruments

Message 7 of 9
(2,781 Views)

Hi Tomaz,

It is good that you found what is causing the measurement problems with your application. Daqmx Scale must be included specifically when creating the executable. There are couple of ways to transfer DAQmx scales and other configuration files to target machines. Please refer to following KB for more detailed informations.

How Do I Include Custom Scales When Building an EXE?

However it is quite strange that you do not receive an DAQmx error due to missing scale. Have you wired the error in/out of the functions you are using and place a Simple Error Handler.vi to display the error message? It might happen that the error message just doesn't pop up.

I hope this help.

Barna D.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,781 Views)

Hi dobarni,

Thanks for the info, I noticed the Include Hardware Configuration before, but for some reason I didn't think it was relevant to my problem Smiley Surprised

I don't have the error handler in the .vi, so that might explain the lack of error pop-up. I do seem to remember, however, that if I had a problem with a scale in the past, a DAQ Assistant error would pop up even without the handler. Thanky you guys for taking the time!

Tomaž

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,773 Views)