LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stack Exchange

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

They measure the popularity by counting nr. of hits Google gives on "X programming". X being the language.

So if we all put "LabVIEW programming" in our signature, we'll be on top in no time!

Done!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 36
(4,137 Views)

Me too!

P.S:

LabVIEW Programming   LabVIEW Programming   LabVIEW Programming   

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 36
(4,116 Views)

What's Stack Exchange?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 36
(4,110 Views)

Hi Sean,

I can see the merits of increasing LabVIEW's presence in the Stack Exchange community.

However, I don't see the rationale for a new Stack Exchange site dedicated to it. IMHO, the 4 example questions you posted all fit on StackOverflow (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/labview ). So do the other NI application families that you mentioned (LabWindows, TestStand, NXG, USRP & VeriStand).

Certified LabVIEW Developer
Message 14 of 36
(4,099 Views)

Hi JKSH,

Stack overflow has been fragmenting for a while now. 

For example there is a MATLAB proposal in progress.  Most popular cryptocurrencies have their own stack, etc.

To me, we're either progressive or we're not. 

The response I have got here is very worrying.  I chose LabVIEW over a competitor all those years ago in large part because of the competitors attitude.  Many of the responses in this thread reflect an attitude not dissimilar to that historic competitors attitude.

I agree with you to a degree, it would be nice to build a presence on SO, however, after all these years it doesn't seem to have worked.  There are a lot of advantages to having a dedicated SE, it costs nothing and is free publicity for NI.  On balance, I think it would be  the right move but of course that's just my opinion.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 36
(4,092 Views)

@SeanJ wrote:

Hi JKSH,

For example there is a MATLAB proposal in progress.  Most popular cryptocurrencies have their own stack, etc.

The response I have got here is very worrying.  I chose LabVIEW over a competitor all those years ago in large part because of the competitors attitude.  Many of the responses in this thread reflect an attitude not dissimilar to that historic competitors attitude.

I agree with you to a degree, it would be nice to build a presence on SO, however, after all these years it doesn't seem to have worked.  There are a lot of advantages to having a dedicated SE, it costs nothing and is free publicity for NI.  On balance, I think it would be  the right move but of course that's just my opinion.

Not surprising, given the proprietary nature of the languages you've mentioned.

To the point, though, I think it would do more for the LabVIEW community  if NI stopped marketing it as a "tool so easy that an engineer can use it" and started marketing it as a legit language that needs "serious developers for serious applications" than getting face time on Stack Exchange.  How is the world of developers supposed to take LabVIEW seriously when the parent company does not?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 16 of 36
(4,078 Views)

@billko wrote:

@SeanJ wrote:

Hi JKSH,

Not surprising, given the proprietary nature of the languages you've mentioned.

To the point, though, I think it would do more for the LabVIEW community  if NI stopped marketing it as a "tool so easy that an engineer can use it" and started marketing it as a legit language that needs "serious developers for serious applications" than getting face time on Stack Exchange.  How is the world of developers supposed to take LabVIEW seriously when the parent company does not?

Well said. I think this kind of "program without programming" marketing advert is a kind of trap. There might be a benefit to gain more attention for a certain number of people/decision makers at companies, but the long term effect is damaging. It is like split identities. LabVIEW marketing is a mule, totally confused, "Am I a horse or a donkey???" 😄

You just cannot be two things at the same time (in the mind of people), whatever those marketing guys telling you 🙂

Message 17 of 36
(4,073 Views)

Ok, for sure the fact that LV is a graphical language, makes everything harder. For some of my colleagues and bosses LV still being a "software", which is like a finite element software tool, or like Photoshop. How could it be a real programming language??? Without millions of text lines in the code?! 😄

But anyway, I do not want to derail the conversation from the original topic, which is StackExchange, sorry 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 36
(4,068 Views)

Hope you're not too worried about my answers. I am a bit sceptical.

1)

You want LV to be more popular. For me, it should be just popular enough.

2)

As a measurement for this you mention IEEE. They spelled LabVIEW wrong. Shows how much they know. 90% of the popular languages above LV are free, open and platform independent. Seems that LabVIEW does a pretty good job competing with them. Note that a dropping popularity can also mean the others have gained popularity. It's all relative. These are not absolute measurements. If Arduino is a hype, LabVIEW might drop a bit...

3)

Stack Overflow is just one site they use to measure this popularity.

4)

Bosses check the points on SE? So let them check NI profiles. Seem a better solution then switching to SE. Btw. I'm pretty sure a CLD\CLA level developer can get a job here without searching.

5)

Even if I\we would want this, it's not in our hands. People asking questions should make this decision. Guess you could stop cold turkey with answering here, and people would seek alternatives like SE. That just doesn't seem right.

The questions on SE are answered AFAIK. I even got some NI forum mails when a SE question is not answer...

Even if I was convinced (actually did not decide, since it just does not seem in my control) what would you want us to do? (Working on the signature).

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 36
(4,054 Views)

Hi Wiebe,

Even if I was convinced (actually did not decide, since it just does not seem in my control) what would you want us to do? (Working on the signature).

At the moment all that needs to be done is follow the proposal, ask sample questions and upvote the sample questions you like.

The proposal is here:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/114168/labview-and-ni-applications

Maybe the IEEE survey is flawed but that is what people see.  Personally, I think a LabVIEW presence on SE would help LabVIEW get taken more seriously.  People who use LabVIEW know its benefits but I often encounter people who dismiss it too easily without taking to the time to learn how brilliant it is.

Maybe a stack could help, maybe not but  I don't think it would make things worse.

I think I've said enough to highlight the potential and hopefully the discussion helped.  I'm not advocating people put LabVIEW programmer in their signatures!

Seán

LabVIEW programmerSmiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 36
(4,034 Views)