LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed up write to text file

I've been trying to get this VI to work more quickly.  It's a VI that simply outputs a text file of a WFM in a

Time <tab> Value

format.  Writing to the actual text file seems to be fairly quick, but the conversion of the WFM values to strings isn't.  I experimented with using the "Format Into File" VI with no luck.  That VI has a tendency to degrade in performance the larger the waveform (Non linear).  So I tried to use my own shift register (In the attached VI) which at least stabilizes the write performance.  Yet, that's not really the driving issue.  It's the conversion to strings that's killing me.

So, what's the most efficient way to generate formatted strings if not using the Format Into String VI?

Thanks

XL600

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,606 Views)

@xl600 wrote:
[...]  It's the conversion to strings that's killing me.[...]

How can you tell this as you benchmark both disk access (write) and string handling?

Have you checked on disk throughput in task manager?

Your VI looks quite clean. How does the benchmark change when writing each entry directly into the file without 'custom' buffering?

Please note that your benchmark is inaccurate as taking time stamps runs in parallel to preparation and cleanup (e.g. flushing "remnants") so you cannot tell about influences there......

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,597 Views)

You didn't include a data file so I haven't tested it for speed, but I would do this.

wf.png

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,596 Views)

That's just one of many versions of the VI instrumented in different ways.  The format into file VI generally took a few seconds longer on my test data (a few 10's of MB waveform) which is why I tried manually buffering.  The flush operation I ignore given it's a very small time period at the buffer size I'm using (Not trying for perfect timing... just general to see big improvements or delays).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,586 Views)

1) You are not writing your full buffer to the file (1000 bytes). 2) You are losing a line of data when you do write.

I managed to get a little extra performance by going a modified Producer/Consumer route.  It really seems to be my disk access that is limiting my performance.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,575 Views)

RTSLVU:

I just tried the write spreadsheet approach and the results were just a little slower than the buffered approach.  I opted for the buffered approach due to the large data sizes of the waveforms I'm going to be working with.  I've attached a comparison using both approaches (Your example would attempt to open/close the file for every element of the array btw...)

Crossrulz:

I just tried to see the difference in write time to determine if I'm IO bound.  On my system (Using a 3,640,000 long array), writing back the text to a new file takes about 1.5s.  Writing the text initially takes about 6s.  From that, it seems the string conversion is about 3 times slower than the text file write in all.  It's hard to know what caches might be doing here.  I may just have to live with it.

BTW: Thanks for pointing out the missing line of data!  That would have driven me nuts if this had gone into use...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,527 Views)

@xl600 wrote:

I just tried to see the difference in write time to determine if I'm IO bound.  On my system (Using a 3,640,000 long array), ...

Formatted text files is plain expensive in terms of storage, writing speed, and reading speed. Formatting a binary value in terms of decimal digits and trimmings (decimal point, E, minus signs,  etc.) is a complicated operation. Same for the inverse.

It is safe to say that no human will ever read a file with 3+Million lines, so the only reasonable approach is a flat binary file. What is the purpose of this file? What other app will be reading it?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,521 Views)

We have some tools (Unix FORTRAN based) that no one wants to rewrite (Or to put it another way, no manager wants to cut budget to re-write, re-validate, and re-verify) which expect this DAT format.  My task (At the moment) is to write the exporters to support our other toolchains though I tend to stay within tdms for everything LabView.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,513 Views)

If there is so much data that the queues fall behind too much using the producer/consumer method, you could always choose to write to the binary file.  Then when the VI is done, reread the binary file and write it back out to the text file for the other FORTRAN tools to be able to use at a later time.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,509 Views)

That's essentially what I'm doing.  I don't output the text files unless the user actually wants to export the data.  Otherwise, I use TDMS (Binary) for everything.  I'm not using a producer/consumer approach at this level BTW.  Above this VI, I chunk out the data in easier to handle blobs as I'm reading from my TDMS files.  It's a work in progress and I still need to get text file appending in place (Instead of the replace or create mode I'm currently using).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,501 Views)