LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specify workgroup file when connecting to Access (Jet) database.

When trying to read from an Access database using the LabVIEW DB Connectivity Toolkit, I keep getting an error saying that I do not have permissions to read the table, even though the userID I wire into the DB Tools Open Connection should have full access to everything. I CAN list all the table names. I get the same result regardless of what UserID I wire, even those UserIDs that don't exist in the database or in any of the workgroup files.

Normally when opening this database using Access I use a shortcut that points to a particular workgroup file (not the one the user is noramlly joined to).

My questions:
1. Any general ideas on what may be going wrong?
2. Is there any way to find out what U
ser you are logged in as?
3. Any way to determine/specify which workgroup file you are using.

I am making the connection using a File DSN.
When I try to access a smiliar database in a similiar way, but one that is unsecured, I have no problems using the same code.

Thanks for any help!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,335 Views)
When you created the DSN, did you specify a system database? This is the radio button option at the bottom of the ODBC Setup window. Selecting this option allows you to specify an .mdw file. It is the .mdw file that contains the security information for Access databases.
Message 2 of 4
(2,335 Views)
Ah, that's what I was looking for! Thank you. I'll give it a try first chance I get.

To help in any troubleshooting that may be needed, it would still be nice to know for sure what User is being logged in -- any way to check that from the Database toolkit or otherwise? I suppose I should assume that the UserID/password passed into the Database connect vi always overrides the "Default Authorization" of the File DSN?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,335 Views)
I believe that's the case. I don't use Access anymore but if I remember correctly, there is an .ldb file that can be opened with any text editor such as notepad and it will list the users logged in and their access rights.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,335 Views)