From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source control provider name TortoiseSVN is not listed

I want to set up TortoiseSVN in LabVIEW but it's not listed in options. Should it be? If so how do I get there? Thanks in advance.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,702 Views)

Hello PaulG,

Linked from the LabVIEW help, this KnowledgeBase article has a list of the SCC providers that are supported off-the-bat:

LabVIEW Help: Configuring LabVIEW to Use Source Control

The TSVN tool I believe you're referring to is a JKI product, and I believe they offer a free evaluation version.  It can be found on the LabVIEW Tools Network or as a standalone download here:

TortoiseSVN Tool for LabVIEW - JKI

Regards,

Tom L.
Message 2 of 11
(3,693 Views)

TortoiseSVN is not part of the default Source Code Control providers.

As an alternative to the JKI option, you can use the TSVN Toolkit from Viewpoint USA.
It is a free toolkit that integrates to the project explore.

I find that is has more features than the JKI, and it match my needs.

Message 3 of 11
(3,685 Views)

I second the Viewpoint TSVN plugin!

The download from their website works with the 1.8.n version of Tortoise SVN

(3,666 Views)

Thanks Tom. Since so many LVers use Subversion I was certain it was supported. I didn't even bother to check. Looks like I have some more work to do.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,660 Views)
It is tortoise that does not comply with the Microsoft standard. I've never really missed it, though.
Message 6 of 11
(3,656 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
It is tortoise that does not comply with the Microsoft standard. I've never really missed it, though.

Funny you formulate it that way. The Micrsoft standard is build around their MS Source Safe product, which uses the somewhat outdated and cumbersome Checkin/Checkout paradigma. Aside from that it is awfully inadequate for most modern source control requirements and has in fact bugs that can eat your code for good. Smiley Frustrated

As to Subversion integration: we don't do it but just use Tortoise SVN from the explorer interface. Works just as good for most situations. Haven't looked at TSVN or the Viewpoint solution yet but I kind of doubt they really use Tortoise SVN but instead most likely interface to the Subversion client instead.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,622 Views)

rolfk wrote:

As to Subversion integration: we don't do it but just use Tortoise SVN from the explorer interface. Works just as good for most situations. Haven't looked at TSVN or the Viewpoint solution yet but I kind of doubt they really use Tortoise SVN but instead most likely interface to the Subversion client instead.

No.  It looks like the Viewpoint tool uses the command line interface for Tortoise SVN.  You do a commit or revert and you get the Tortoise SVN windows.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,615 Views)

Intergrated Tortoise SVN.  Hmmm... >:)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,600 Views)

Using Tortoise SVN with LabVIEW from the explorer window always works just fine for me.  I start editing some VI file that is locked, as soon as I go to save (which is frequent) LabVIEW will say this file is read-only because I don't have the lock.  It then brings up the dialog asking where to save it.  The default location is where the read-only file is so I right click the file and say get lock.  Then my file is not read-only and I can save again.

I have used the Viewpoint toolkit and don't think it really adds much for my usage.  It does also create a bunch of quick drop functions which are nice but took up too many of my favorite key commands I already was using.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,562 Views)