LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound on headphones

I am streaming audio data from a crio to my laptop (Microsoft Surface Book, Win10). To monitor the audio, I use Sound Output Configure and Sound Output Write. I can hear the sound perfect on the loadspeakers of the laptop. Now I want to get the sound on headphones. There is no sound on the headphones when I connect them with cable, nor when connecting with Bluetooth. When I play a song in windows it is well played over the headphones.

In the system settings, output mixer, I can see that my vi is appearing for the loadspeaker, but not for the headphones. (See attached screenshots).  

I tried with different device IDs in Sound Output Configure, but only 0 gives a sound, wince this is the soundcard of the laptop. 

I saw that other people also had this problem and asked in NI discussion forum, but no answer has yet been given to this issue. 

How can I output sound to the headphones?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,484 Views)

I'm using LabVIEW 2016 (32-bit) with Windows 10 x64.  I currently have my headphones on my head, and Windows directing sounds to the headphones (so I hear the "USB Sound" when I plug in a USB device, and when I browse the Web or play a game, sounds come through the headphone.  If I drop a Play Waveform Function on the Block Diagram, and click "Test Device", I hear a "Beep" in the headphones.  Note that this function lets me select the Audio Output, so if I choose "Speakers", I get the sound through the Speakers.

So it seems LabVIEW can play sounds through headphones, it just depends on the Sound settings.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,467 Views)

@JORY wrote:

I am streaming audio data from a crio to my laptop (Microsoft Surface Book, Win10). To monitor the audio, I use Sound Output Configure and Sound Output Write. I can hear the sound perfect on the loadspeakers of the laptop. Now I want to get the sound on headphones. There is no sound on the headphones when I connect them with cable, nor when connecting with Bluetooth. When I play a song in windows it is well played over the headphones.

In the system settings, output mixer, I can see that my vi is appearing for the loadspeaker, but not for the headphones. (See attached screenshots).  

I tried with different device IDs in Sound Output Configure, but only 0 gives a sound, wince this is the soundcard of the laptop. 

I saw that other people also had this problem and asked in NI discussion forum, but no answer has yet been given to this issue. 

Just checking if you found a solutions for your issue? I am a new LabView user and have the same problem. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,097 Views)

@JORY wrote:

Hi, I just want to ask if you figured out the solution? I am a new LabView user and have the same issue.Can you help me, please?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,086 Views)

I am puzzled by this problem, so I poked around a bit.  I stumbled upon a post, in German (I was looking up the definition of "Lautstarkemixer") that said "Windows 10:  Microsoft prepares to say goodbye to the volume mixer".  I'm not sure I understood the entire (translated) article, but it appears that at some point in the evolution of Windows 10, the simple way Sound was treated (being "routable" to multiple rendering devices) may have changed.  Certainly on my Dell Laptop, I have a single Sound system with two selectable outputs, internal speakers or a headphone jack, but other hardware (such as the Surface) might (and, according to the pictures posted, do) handle sound differently, depending on the output device.

Bottom line, it appears to be a Windows "thing", not LabVIEW's "fault" or responsibility.  For more about this problem, do a Web search for "Windows 10 volume mixer not working" (or something similar) -- you should find (as I did) a number of articles suggesting "fixes".  Read carefully and be cautious, especially about downloading third-party "repair" tools ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,067 Views)
  • try to connect the devices bevor you start LabVIEW. I still think it is a bug of LabVIEW not Windows. 
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,057 Views)