From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some way to display a "Initializing, please wait..."

Hey there!
I'm running a VI on a rather sluggish computer, so initializing it takes some time. I'd like to keep the user from messing with the VI before it's completed initializing. So I thought about popping up a modal dialog going like "Initializing, please wait...", having my VI initialize and destroying the dialog afterwards. I figure I have to use the VI Server, but can't think of a way to implement what I've got in mind...
Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Kind regards,
Severin
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,834 Views)
I like using the Set Busy and Unset Busy.  You can find them on the Cursors pallete.  It disables mouse clicks and is almost universally recognized as "I'm doing something else right now, don't distract me".  Since you are calling them at the start of the program, the user will most likely assume that it is part of the loading process.  Next they will be asking you to "make it load faster". Robot tongue
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,828 Views)
Thanks, looks like what I was looking for. Right now I'm stuck in a mass recompile after upgrading to 8.0.1, but I'll try it immediately.

If they bug me about the speed I'm gonna send them bug my boss to replace my AMD K6-II/350 😉
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,818 Views)

Also take a look at Darrens nugget on using a progress bar.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=192115

David

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,807 Views)