LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some further details about Vis are needed

Hello everyone,

I'm currently writing my Bachelor Thesis. My topic is the realization of an Algorithm, which is able to find dark particles in images.
For this Task I'm using LabVIEW 2016 x64 and Vision 2016.
The algorithm works as inteded, but I'd like to explain a bit of the mathematics behind some the Vis, so I need some further Information.
I need this Information to be validated to cite it, which is why I hope that an NI- Programmer reads this and takes the time to answer the following 3 Questions:

-Does the Vi "IMAQ Find Circles" use an analysis of the hessian matrices to determine if the found circles are, indeed, circles?
-On which base is the elongation factor, used by the Vi "IMAQ Particle Filter 3", determined?
-In the same Vi, how is the "equivalent Ellipse" calculated/defined? I imagine it's the smallest Ellipse which can be placed around the Particle without intersecting it, is that correct?

You would really help me by answering these Questions!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,156 Views)

Good questions, which may involve proprietary algorithms buried deep with NI.  Indeed, one of the more knowledgable NI engineers who helped us with some tricky IMAQdx issues five years ago was from NI-Germany.

I assume you looked at the Help for these functions (and probably found little information).  One thing you could do is to make an "educated guess" at a suitable algorithm, code it up and see how it works, and explain that while the details of NI's implementation are proprietary, one way to do this would be to ________ (fill in the blanks).  You'd, of course, need to write some code to test your algorithm, which you can then compare to NI's (boy, if I saw something like this in a Bachelor Thesis, I'd be very impressed).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,106 Views)

-For the questions on elongation factor and equivalent ellipse and how they are measured plaese read into this NI Vision Concepts: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370281AD-01/nivisionconcepts/particle_measurements/

-For IMAQ Find Circle look into Circle Function in: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370281AD-01/nivisionconcepts/advanced_morphology_operations/

Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,050 Views)