LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Vis are not responsing after upgrading to XP

Hello, My system has just been upgraded from Windows 98 to XP. When the AVG virus checker automatically updates itself, any open vi returns the error message 'Not Responding'. When this vi is reloaded the same message is returned. I have tried using a backup copy of the vi and re-installing Labview but this has not solved the problem. Any ideas? Kevin Dyke Software Engineer Thales Optronics (Taunton) Ltd
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,845 Views)

Hi Kevin,

Which version of labview are you using?

Could you please post the VI's that aren't responding?

I want to try and recreate your problem in order to find you a solution

Thanks

Emma R

NIUK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,805 Views)

EmmaR

I am using Labview 6.1

The problem is with any vi that uses visa comms. I have tried disabling the virus checker and this makes no difference. I have loaded a vi which doesn't use comms to which I was able to added more components. Swapping between the front panel and the code caused no problems. Then I added a visa resource. When I pressed Window on the menu,  Labview hung and after a short while reported 'Not responding'. I used the task manger to end Labview and the cpu usage was reported as 100%. Cpu usage then dropped to 19%.

The application uses rs232 and GPIB. The GPIB modules are not mis-behaving.

I have XP on a laptop and Labview runs ok.

regards
Kevin Dyke

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,780 Views)

Hi Kevin,

I am further investiagting your probelm and nee to know what version of visa are you using?

Thanks

Emma R

NIUK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,763 Views)

Emma R

I do not known which version of visa I am using. I am using the vis in the serial folder in the instrument i/o folder on the function pallette. Placing the vis is not a problem , it is when I place a visa resource on the front panel, or a visa constant on the diagram that crashes Labview.

regards

Kevin Dyke

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,745 Views)
Hi Kevin,

Could you please try downloading the latest version of visa and see how this affects your application.

This is the link navigates you to the visa installer on our site:

Thanks

Emma R

NIUK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,739 Views)

Hello Kevin,

you can find the used VISA version in the Measurement and Automation Explorer under Software-->NI-VISA. The current version of NI-VISA is 3.4.1. If your version is a much older version download the current version and update NI-VISA. Maybe it helps.

Regards ThomasD

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,738 Views)

The latest version will not install.

The program setup.exe returns the error message:"The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s."

regards

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,732 Views)
We have this exact same error after installing CVIRTE 8.0.0.273. Fortunately, one of our engineers found a workaround that works.

We are able to get the other NI installers working again if we delete everything in the following folder:
'\Documents and Settings\xxUSERNAMExx\Local Settings\Temp' except systemfolders like cookies, etc.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,558 Views)