LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid state relay to control blinds using labview

Hi.

In order to control the opening/closing of shading blinds in an experiment I  need to control a motor that is connected to solid state relays (2 SSRs for 240V AC power lines). I want to perform it using sbRIO 9627 digital outputs. 

My question is, what is the logic of LabVIEW code that would be able to achieve this task?
Secondly, is it wise to use digital outputs from RIO Mazzine boards to send the control digital signal output?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,414 Views)

Hi.

I need to control four valves (to control the opening and closing) using digital outputs of sbRIO. Since I am new to LabVIEW I am not sure about control logic. I need to connect the motors to a solid-state relay such that knowing the time required for valve positioning we can perform this task.

Any idea on control logic along with information on LabVIEW code structure would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,409 Views)

What relays are you using?  My biggest concern is the drive current of most DIO are very small.  The current needed for the relay's input may be too much for the DIO on the sbRIO.  You also have to make sure the DIO and the relays are using the same logic levels (5V, 3.3V, 1.8V, 24V).  So you may need some buffer circuitry.

As far as the logic, you have given no information for how the DIO are to react to anything.  So I could just say "Use a button and write the value so the DIO line".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,359 Views)

I have these two relays with me, which you think will be better to use?

1 x 8-CH SSR 5A DC-DC 5V-220V Solid State Relay
1 x 2-Ch 5V Solid State Relay

I am thinking to use the digital outputs by connecting RIO Mazzine card in sbRIO, do you think the current will be sufficient to move the valve?
Do you have an example of LabVIEW code which will be useful maybe ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,307 Views)

Have you read the specification sheet for the motors that you are trying to control? What does it say? How does this line up for the spec sheets of the SSRs that you're proposing to use? Have you looked at any of the shipping examples? Have you gone through any of the training material at the top of this forum? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,285 Views)

Solis State Relays should not have the current draw issues as they are basically  just a big Triac controlled by logic levels.

There is no relay coil current draw or back EMF spikes to worry about.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,280 Views)