LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snap Image in faster way

Hello, 

I am using LabVIEW 2016 and I want to snap an image from my USB camera connected to my pc.

I am using the very simple VI example (see attached) to do this and a simple snap is taking more than 4000 ms to be done.

I was wondering if there is any other faster way to snap images without waiting for this long delay.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,061 Views)

Could be a few things depending on the features exposed on the USB camera and how the USB camera acquires normally. You can experiment quickly with the camera by going to NI-MAX and investigating all the parameters for the camera under Devices and Interfaces. There you can also take a snap and see how long it takes after changing the parameters. When you find parameters that work, you can use those to trigger the camera in your application.

Additionally, running a Snap is an inherently bad way to get high frame rate for more than one image. You'll want to configure a grab to achieve a high frame rate. However, you will still need to configure the camera properly before you can get a good frame rate with a grab, same as a snap.

It might also help to know the camera you are using, but if it's a stock web camera, it might be hard to tell what features it supports.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,014 Views)

Your time measure includes the opening time of the camera, i'm fairly certain that's the biggest time portion. In an application you'd only open it once at program start. The snapping itself might be faster with Grab instead.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,991 Views)