From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoothing Windows

Hello!
I´m developing a frequency analysis tool and  i´d like that my power density spectrum peaks were as close as possible to Gaussian curves. Does anybody know the best smoothing window  i could use to get that?

Thank you,

Luanna
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,426 Views)
Hi Luanna,

The smoothing windows are use to prevent Spectral Leakage (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/81E934672ABEB3D4862568C1006528F4)

There are many windows you can use to do this, and there is no absolute better window, it depends on the application, as far as I know, here is a list of the windows you can find in LabVIEW:

There is a Gaussian window:

Hope this is helpful, let me know how it goes, it sound very interesting!

Tania Lozoya
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,367 Views)
Also, fundamentally, the best reproduction of a "gaussian-shaped curve" in frequency domain is only possible with very fine frequency resolution, so you need lots of individual points defining a peak.  Fine freq resolution in turn depends on rather long sampling durations.

In the real world, pure gaussians are pretty rare little beasties though anyway.  Quite often very fine frequency resolution just provides more "landing zones" for the broadband noise, and you still don't get nice well-defined gaussian curves.  FYI.

-Kevin P.
CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,351 Views)