LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smearing in text indicators when mouse scrolling (broken redraw?)

@aputman wrote:

For the indicator to redraw with the scrollbars but not with the mouse seems to indicate that it is not a driver issue.  However, it wouldn't hurt to make these changes and see what happens.

Are any of those experiencing the issue running Labview on a laptop?  

My posit was that anything to do with failed redraws is usually due to some kind of incompatibility with a video driver.  I know that my mouse driver differentiates between using the scroll bar and using the wheel.  Something about "smooth scrolling".  I venture to say that, depending on this setting, it uses accelerated graphics or standard scrolling to accomplish the task.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 24
(1,124 Views)

Hi all,

I'm seeing the "smeary" behavior when scrolling on the string control vertical scrollbar using the mouse wheel. As mentioned, when clicking on the arrows on the scroll bar, the text isn't smeared. 

However this behavior isn't seen when the text cursor is placed inside of the string control and then the mouse wheel is used.

Also a clarifying statement,  the structure included in the Smeary string.vi is a string control not a string indicator. After wiring a string indicator to your control in the VI, the text isn't smeared when scrolling on the indicator. This smeared text behavior is only observed with the string control. 

Regards,

Alex
Hardware Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 24
(1,093 Views)

@algarcia wrote:

Hi all,

I'm seeing the "smeary" behavior when scrolling on the string control vertical scrollbar using the mouse wheel. As mentioned, when clicking on the arrows on the scroll bar, the text isn't smeared. 

However this behavior isn't seen when the text cursor is placed inside of the string control and then the mouse wheel is used.

Also a clarifying statement,  the structure included in the Smeary string.vi is a string control not a string indicator. After wiring a string indicator to your control in the VI, the text isn't smeared when scrolling on the indicator. This smeared text behavior is only observed with the string control. 

Regards,

That was everything except a CAR#.

Could you please provide a CAR# ?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 24
(1,088 Views)

An update. I went back and checked my case.

1. It was a string indicator, not a control.
  2. It had a transparent background.
  3. When I changed the background from transparent to a color, the smearing stopped.

The transparent background seems to be linked to the problem.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 24
(1,073 Views)

Hi all,

The information has been passed onto R&D, and they'll look into resolving the issue for a future version of LabVIEW. 

CAR#: 660883

Regards,

Alex
Hardware Engineer
Message 15 of 24
(1,062 Views)

This has been a problem for a while.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/String-indicator-vertical-scroll-bar-BUG/m-p/2539204

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 24
(1,032 Views)

Hard to have hope for a fix when the bug is 5 years old.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 24
(1,019 Views)

@User002 wrote:

Hard to have hope for a fix when the bug is 5 years old.

Make a case for why it should be a high priority and hope is a little easier.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 24
(1,012 Views)

Why has this bug not been fixed yet? So sad.... 

For my application, coloring the string indicator the same color as the panel is not a fix because I am using a gradient as the background.

Also some people in this thread said that the smearing only happens for controls but not indicators or only for classic but not modern. But I have tried it with all of these and still see the smearing behavior on scroll wheel.

Sigh, I guess I'm just complaining, but does anyone have any ideas of other work arounds?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 24
(776 Views)

You didn't say what version of LabVIEW you were using but I just tried it on 2018 and it's still bugged.  It seems linked to the mouse hover feature so if you select "On Key Focus" on the Key Nav page of its properties it will scroll without glitching BUT you have to click in the window (or TAB to it) to bring it in focus first.

EDIT:  Just checked with the rest of the string controls and they all do it too, even NXG.  I can't believe I never noticed this before if it's that old an issue.  Even more strangely, the bug has turned the text into some kind of latin-like, alien language about some guy named Lorem Ipsum! Smiley Surprised

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 20 of 24
(760 Views)