From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smearing in text indicators when mouse scrolling (broken redraw?)

Has anyone seen/tackled this problem when using the mouse to scroll in a string indicator? I have a background image selected and the string indicator has a transparent background, plus the indicator's in a VI running in a subpanel. I'm not sure if that's the combination that's causing the break or not. What I see:

Smearing Text.png

It happens both while running and at edit-time. If the mouse is moved without scrolling, the indicator redraws and looks normal again. Tips?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(3,418 Views)

IMHO, that looks like you have two controls overlapping one another.  The numbers don't appear to be the same. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 24
(3,394 Views)

I have a run-of-the mill string indicator displaying license information. If I use the scroll bar for the indicator, there is no smearing, if I use the mouse wheel to scroll, then text is smeared. See attached. This seems like a bug.

No workarounds I have found yet.

mcduff

Snap16.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 24
(3,331 Views)

What version of Labview?

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24
(3,325 Views)

Sorry, my version is 2017, just tested 64 bit, Win7 64 bit.

Cheers,

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(3,323 Views)

I'm running 2017 32-bit. I only seem to see it when the background is transparent. See the attached VI. Reminder that it only shows when you're scrolling with the mouse wheel in the center of the control, not when you use the scroll bar.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(3,304 Views)

I see it also with your VI.

Thank you for attaching it.

It seems to also be a classic control.  A "modern" control with transparent background did not do it.

I would call it a bug.  But  the only work around I can see is for you to color the background of the control the same as your panel background rather than transparent.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24
(3,290 Views)

Had same problem with "modern" string controls in 2016.  Had to change transparent background to same color as panel.  Definitely a bug.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 24
(3,276 Views)

Could it be a in issue between LV and video driver?  What would happen, for example, if you turn off Aero?  Or disabled accelerated graphics?  (Not suggesting this as a fix or workaround, just exploration of the issue.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24
(3,273 Views)

For the indicator to redraw with the scrollbars but not with the mouse seems to indicate that it is not a driver issue.  However, it wouldn't hurt to make these changes and see what happens.

Are any of those experiencing the issue running Labview on a laptop?  

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 24
(3,271 Views)