cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartMotor .dll Registration

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey everyone,

So a lot of the new code I've been working on requires interfacing with a SmartMotor and controlling it with ActiveX calls (see png). When I compile and install the executable, the code doesn't run on a fresh computer because another program SmartMotor Interface (SMI) is what installs/registers the dll's that LabVIEW uses for the ActiveX calls. What I want, is to be able to run the executable without the computer needing SMI installed, so basically I need to figure out what library files to include with the installer and how to register them in the host computers. I've tried using regsvr32 on some dll's and can't figure out what else to try. Anyone have any ideas? 

p.s.: in addition the the SMI files in the pngs, SmiEngine.dll is installed in system32 when SMI is installed.

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,935 Views)

Hi Andrew,

just install this SMI on the other computer.

Then hide/delete the user interface app coming for this SMI and install your own LabVIEW executable…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,928 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FireFist-Redhawk

If your software comes with an installer, that is definitely what you should be running to get it on another computer. Trying to figure out what and how you have to register all the different DLLs and such is pretty error prone (it may work on a particular computer after lots of figuring out but fail on a different computer because of version differences, other installed software or anything else the DLL developer may have figured out to make his software super duper easy to use).

Besides, everything you figure out if it is successful, may be completely out of data when the software developer releases a new version of the software. So instead of fighting wind mills, just go with the flow and install the software with its intended tool!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,906 Views)