LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow transfer rate.

I have seen this problem in several forum posts but all involved slow transfer rates over a network. I have this problem  and also when copying files from the embedded controller to a firewire drive.

Over a 1Gbit network connection I  am getting only a 2MB/s rate. This is using several methods, an FTP client, Internet explorer or MAX.  All give the same rate, 2MB/s

I have also tried transfering a file from the embedded controller to a firewire drive and was only able to get a rae of 4MB/s. Whil transfering the data file from the Firewire drive to a PC completes in reasonable time. So it seems to me that the problem is not network related or not just a network problem.

I will be collecting data with a PXI system running Labview RT 8.21. With the amount of data over 20 GB . And I don't want to have to wait hours for the transfer to complete.

How can the transfers be so slow. The common item seems to be accessing the hard drive.

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,577 Views)

Hi Dave,

Would you be able to provide more information about your system?  Which controller are you using? 

Jennifer R.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,546 Views)
Thank you for replying.

This is a my second NI PXI system, the first system also had a slow transfer rate. But the rate is a bigger problem with this second system because there is a lot more data to transfer, about 20+ GBytes. Right now I am in the process of transferring 10 files of about 10 GB. I started the transfer and went to lunch, it should take a couple of hours.

chassis : PXI-1056
controller : 8196
connection : PXI - PC via crossover cable.
LAN speed : Gbit
Transfer program : Filezilla, (other methods produce the same result)

I have transfered similar size files from PC-PC and obtained a rate of about 33MB/sec vs 2-3MB/sec

In previous forum posts there was mention of setting the transfer mode to full duplex. On the PXI side, using MAX there is a drop down list to switch to Gbit full duplex, but these options aren't enabled. The only choice available is auto detect.

On the PC I set the transfer mode to Gbit full duplex. The change made no diffference.

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,536 Views)