From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow remote debug

Hello,
I'm experiencing very slow start-up of remote debugging sessions. When I'm on a local network, it takes some seconds to get the control on the application when the main VI starts downloading (21MB). However, I have sometimes to debug applications running on far away sites (from Europe to Asia or USA) and in this case, it takes sometimes about 20 minutes before I'm getting the control on the application. I don't think the internet download time is the only reason for this slow start-up. Is there any configuration or best practice to speed-up the remote debug? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,379 Views)

Hi,

the remote debug performance is highly based on the network speed.

Have you tried to ping your client to see the connection time?

Optimize your remote debug performance by reducing the virtual distance of the connection.

Have you tried to activate jumbo frames in your network controller?

Best wishes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work with NI Hard- and Software for about 15 years now.

Certified LabVIEW Developer & TestStand Developer/Architect

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,343 Views)

Hi,
This is an old topic I opened last year and it looks like the answer notification didn't reach my mailbox... However, I'm still having this slow debug start-up issue. In your opinion, would I also have to enable the jumbo frames on the remote computer?

I was wondering if there's no possibility to keep the remote VI's in a cache on my local machine so as to avoid Labview to download them everytime I have to start a debug session (if the remote .exe didn't change).

Best regards

Jean-Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,087 Views)

Yes, both will have to have activated Jumbo-Frames to have this working.

The cache is cleared when you close LabVIEW after the debugging.

There is no option to keep something in the cache if not needed anymore or when the application that had used that piece of memory is closed.

The memory is handled by Windows Memory Manager.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,084 Views)

I was not thinking about a RAM cache but a hard drive one. It looks like Labview is downloading all the VIs from the remote application. I think that for an unknown reason this download is very slow. The main VI is 920kB and it takes about 20minutes from the moment that it starts downloading to the moment when I really get the control on the application.
When closing the software, Labview always asks if I would like to save files created by the debug session (don't remember excatly the which files). Would it help to save them?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,076 Views)

To save the files would surely help.

LabVIEW will still have to check if the files are still the same than the ones of the newly started remote session, but this will be faster if LabVIEW does not have to download all the files everytime.

This Save is something you might call a cache. But cache would be the wrong word.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,072 Views)

Hello,

I gave a new try today by activating the Jumbo frames on both sides (9k MTU) but I didn't see any improvement. For sure the ping time is quite long, about 280ms.

I also tried to save the files listed as modified when I'm exiting the remote debug session on my local computer, but they are only .lvclass (NI_HTML, NI_report and NI_Standard Report). The default path where Labview proposes to save them is not existing and if I try to save them somewhere else, it get warnings about missing files and then again tons of modified files to save... That's absolutely not obvious about what to do.

You said Labview is checking for modified files before downloading again the VIs, evidently, this feature is not working on my computer.

Thank you for your help.

Jean-Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,037 Views)

Hi Jean-Daniel,

wow, 280ms is a really bad ping timing.

If I were you I would try to improve that. Normal ping time should be around 50ms or something like that.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,020 Views)

Hi Dennis,

Unfortunately I can't do much to improve ping time since the remote computer is located in China and I'm located in Switzerland.

As I said in my previous post:

"You said Labview is checking for modified files before downloading again the VIs, evidently, this feature is not working on my computer."

How can I troubleshoot this? In fact this feature looks also not working if I'm remote debugging a software running on a computer in my local network. Labview is always downloading all the VI's. I'm open to show you this behaviour through a TeamViewer session.

Best regards.

Jean-Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,014 Views)

I can only assume why this is not working correctly.

Maybe the root cause is some conversion done internally because of the different System languages on both systems, different fonts and stuff.

Wich Windows Version are you using? Wich LabVIEW Version as well?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,010 Views)