LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow loading VI and EXE

HI 

I am hoping someone can give me inspiration here, i have a project that i recently made a modification to which now takes ages (over 60s) to load, where as previously it was 1 or 2. It was a minor change by adding a table of results, so nothing ground breaking going on. I think i can actually rule out the code as i used a splash screen as the entry point and that also took 60s to load. So here is my question (and i can only apologise if it sounds stupid), how can i establish what is being initialised PRIOR to running the VI or EXE? Being new to the Labview scene i am doing a lot of guessing at the moment, so any guidance would be appreciated 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,577 Views)
Just a random idea:
Clear your table from all data displayed, make that empty value the new default value (right click -> data operation -> make current value default) and save your vi again.

For further analysis we need to know more about the VI you've changed.

Regards, Jens
Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,571 Views)

Hi Jens 

Thanks for the answer, but i have actually ruled out the programming in the VI by disabling everything and using a splash screen, yet still it hangs before opening the UI. My first thought was the .NET issues that have been mentioned, but i have tried those to no avail. The symptoms are the same whether it is the compiled EXE i am trying to load or the main VI of the project, i am sure it must be something simple but at the moment i am at a standstill. Here is hoping for some sort of enlightenment 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,565 Views)

Could be many things.

• Are some of the VIs not local (e.g. on a network resource)?
  • Do you run any unusual antivirus or security software?
  • What is the size of the VIs on disk?
  • Were the VIs last saved in the same LabVIEW version you are using?
  • What happens during the delay (high/low CPU usage, disk IO, etc.)
  • What does the VI do? (e.g. What about the .NET comment?)
  • How are you doing the splash screen?
  • Does everything return to normal if you go back to the VIs before the changes (e.g. from backups. Maybe the change is related to an OS update, not due to code changes).
  • LabVIEW version? OS version? Third party toolkits? Drivers?
  • Does it use any external resources (instruments, etc.)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,555 Views)

Thanks for your reply, I have gone through everything you have said, I have tried OS versions checked for network links etc, the one thing I can say is that this is happening prior to actually running the VI, and in answer to your question of what does it do, well the answer is nothing. As an exe it shows as “not responding” then after a period of time the UI starts and all is good. What I am trying to figure out is what is happening during that period of “not responding”. Hopefully that makes sense 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,543 Views)

@gadget911 wrote:

... in answer to your question of what does it do, well the answer is nothing. As an exe it shows as “not responding” then after a period of time the UI starts and all is good. What I am trying to figure out is what is happening during that period of “not responding”. Hopefully that makes sense 

Obviously it gets stuck at loading some component and my question was of course what does the program do once it is running (plain math? interact with hardware? solve crossword puzzles? Recite poetry?)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,539 Views)

Ok so the application is relatively simple, I loads cvs data files and plots the data in graphs and in a data table. Thing is it doesn’t do any of this until I select a start time and date and an end time and data and apply it. And that is all it does, very simple straightforward program 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,526 Views)

So, the project suddenly takes ages to load? Have you tried loading the VI(s) outside of the project?

Do you have SCC so you can fall back and try with the exact same code when it was working?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,498 Views)

What is cvs data? Is that a proprietary format requiring a plugin? (Or did you means csv?).

What functions do you use the load these files? What does the code do when waiting for date input? Can you show us some code? Does it contain hardwired paths that are not available?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,474 Views)

I suspect that the table is the source of your problem.  Check the scroll bars on the table.  It may appear blank, but have a large amount of data that you cannot see.  When the program terminates, write an empty array to the table.  If all else fails, delete the table and recreate it.  Compile and test the code before running it to confirm that the table is uninitialized.

If that does not help, there are several hidden issues in LabVIEW that could cause bloat problems.

• Lots of static data saved in main or subVIs
  • Preallocated clones that multiply in memory
  • Bad execution system
  • Bad execution priority
  • Dependencies that you don't expect

I published a free utility to expose these issues and 30 others.  Find it in VIPM

Clones.png

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,459 Views)