LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow edit using JKI and DQMH

Hello to all,

Recently i'm in a new situation where I have a slow labview performance at the block diagram when I copy objects or when I save the vi. For example, copy takes more than a second or two (i'm faster than Labview) and save takes more than 5 seconds.

I started to search in the forum for similar issues and one cause is the size of the VI. That people considered a Main.vi bigger than 1.5MB to be extremely large. But I can easily achieve those values with a simple project like the one that I attach (a very simple one where I use a JKI state machine and some DQMH modules - i'm starting on DQMH).

I asked a friend to test with his projects and he has the same thing. Usually the size is easily between 1MB and 2MB.

But it's normal to take so long with a size like do one that I mention?

Best regards,

Jorge Amaral

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,988 Views)

My super-busiest "main" VI is 25 kB.  Saving big default data on your FP (or in constants) will certainly bloat your file size.  So will not separating your compiled code from the source.  And of course, not using subVIs will do that to you, too.

All of those things aren't recommended practices.

Anything like that going on?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,929 Views)

Hello,

That's really a small size. I placed a JKI state machine in a new VI and the value on the block diagram is 250K. So I don't know how you can do it.

empty jki st machine.png

The small example that I attach communicates with two spectrometers, one camera and uses a NI MIO.

Can you describe what are you doing on your "super-busiest" main?

Thanks for your help!

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,897 Views)

@Jorge_Amaral wrote:

Hello,

That's really a small size. I placed a JKI state machine in a new VI and the value on the block diagram is 250K. So I don't know how you can do it.

empty jki st machine.png

The small example that I attach communicates with two spectrometers, one camera and uses a NI MIO.

Can you describe what are you doing on your "super-busiest" main?

Thanks for your help!

Sure, I have several loops doing different things with two queues and several dynamic events.  It is highly modularized, though  I don't really have anything but subVIs at the main.vi level.  That's probably why it's so small.  All my loops are in subVIs.  The complexity is 0.5.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,886 Views)

I see where I'm misunderstanding.  You're talking about total memory, not physical size on the disk.  I am sorry.  I have a similar memory footprint.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,882 Views)