LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Size of a executable program in Labview

In our company we develop small programs in Labview for distributing to our customers. We worked with the professional development software of Labview (version 5), and now we have started to work with the version 6.0.
This new version need to install the run-time engine, which size is about 8 Megabytes, plus some hundreds of kilobytes of the program; while with the previous version executables of our programs only need about 3 Megabytes of space.
Our costumers complain about that the same small programs need so much space now. Take into account that they don't work with some executables programs on the same PC (advantage of the run-time engine).
There isn't another way to generate executable programs with the same space or
less than in version 5.0?
Is it posible to generate a executable code that don't need anything else installed previously?
(Our usual operating system is Windows ME).

Thanks a lot

Juan Ignacio
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,538 Views)
According to NI (http://www.ni.com/support/labview/toolkits/appbuild/lv51ab.htm):

The LabVIEW 6i Application Builder is very similar to the LabVIEW 5.1 and 5.1.1 versions with a few differences:

LabVIEW 6i allows you to create dynamic link libraries (DLLs) on Windows platforms or shared libraries on MacOS/UNIX platforms.
The 3D Graph, DataSocket, and NI Reports support files are now part of the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine installation on Windows platforms. (!!!)
There is a "Help" button that opens the LabVIEW Help files for the steps involved in creating an executable and/or DLL/shared library.

______

I don't think that there is a way to extract this enhancements ...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,538 Views)
in lv5 each exec occupied these 3Megabytes
in LV6 the runtime engine is a dll that is shared between apps, so you even can win space if you have more apps.
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,538 Views)
The installer for the LabVIEW 6.0 Run-Time Engine is approximately 11.2 MB on disk. The installer for the LabVIEW 5.1 Run-Time Engine is approximately 2.9 MB on disk. The difference in size is attributed to several things:

The LabVIEW 6.0 Run-Time Engine installer is a Windows Installer (or MSI) installer. As such, it comes with a redistribution of the MSI engine. This engine is about 3 MB on disk.

The core LabVIEW Run-Time Engine is larger in LabVIEW 6.0 than in LabVIEW 5.1 because of new features in LabVIEW 6i such as the new 3D controls.

The LabVIEW 6.0 Run-Time Engine installer includes the DataSocket, NI-Reports, and 3D Graph components. This was done for specific technical reasons as we begin to use the Windows Installer technology for all of ou
r software components.

In the future, we hope to provide an improved installation building mechanism in the LabVIEW Professional Development System that will allow you to include in your installer the exact components you need to run your LabVIEW applications on a target system. These components can include items like the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine as well as driver software for National Instruments hardware products.

If you wish to have a minimal size exe it is sometimes possible to include all of the files in the C:\Program Files\National Instruments\shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\6.0 folder in the same directory as your executable and achieve the results you are looking for. This is still approximately 6 MB and not the supported manner for distributing the run time engine with your executable.

Marc Monroe
National Instruments
Message 4 of 4
(2,538 Views)