From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single phase inverter controlled by compactRIO

Hi guys, I am conducting my application which need a single phase grid-tie inverter. I want to find a custimized or commercialized single-phase grid-interactive inverter which allow the user to define the control algorithms. I wish I can controll this inverter on Real Time by my CRIO since I have already get these analog/digital I/O modules with my CRIO.

Do you guys any any recommendation for which inverter I can find to achieve this kind of function? or any other suggestion for my application.

BTW, I read there's some NI product called NI Single-Board RIO General Purpose Inverter Controller. Is that one have some specific function for inverter which CRIO doesn't have or it is just a single-board RIO which has similar function with a normal CRIO?

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,901 Views)

Hi Peter,

why don't you just call your local NI office to discuss any hardware issues? They really are willing to help and guide you in selecting some hardware for your project...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,894 Views)

Peter,

1. Does anyone make a single phase grid-tied inverter? Except for the HVDC lines, all power grids are three phase. Connecting a single phase inverter to the grid would tend to unbalance the grid.  Most likely your electric company will not allow you to connect a single phase inverter to the grid.

2. There was some mention of the Inverter Controller at NI Week. Perhaps you can find something in the on-line (but not grid-tied) NIWeek information.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,887 Views)

Hello sdualienware,

The functionality of the Single-Board General-Purpose Inverter Controller (GPIC) is defined by the code deployed to the hardware and may in fact, be used with a normal CompactRIO. I have included a few helpful links below that will not only help to explain the functionality and benefits of using the NI-RIO technology to perform this control (although most resources specifically point to the Single-Board RIO), but also provide sample code that may be used for single-phase inverter control. 

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14207/en (NI Single-Board RIO General-Purpose Inverter Controller)

https://lumen.ni.com/nicif/us/codepowelecguide/content.xhtml (Download the Latest Power Electronics Design Guide Code)

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/power-electronics-development-center (Community: Power Electronics Development Center)

Wes W
Application Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,872 Views)

Hi 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,854 Views)

Hi 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,852 Views)

Hi WesWNI

Thanks for providing these information. Do you have any suggestion for the related hardware selection? I don't want to build the whole inverter by myself so I am seeking a inverter which I can applied control with the CompactRIO. Or if possible, may I call you or email you to discuss this problem so I may give you a more detailed description for my need.

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,849 Views)

Hello sdualienware,

You may contact your Account Representative by calling (888) 280-7645 who will be able to assist you further in configuring a system capable of meeting the requirements of your application. While speaking with your representative, you may also ask to have your local Field Engineer contact you either by phone or in person to discuss your application in greater detail. 

Wes W
Application Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,843 Views)